Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: max wierdness  (Read 15704 times)

browolf

max wierdness
« on: December 10, 2006, 05:34:17 PM »

Hi i've had max since nov 17th. it hasnt been an enjoyable experience so far; which is disappointing because my 5 previous years of broadband on 500/1/2 mb have been excellent.

my first 2 weeks i was running at 3-5mb. i had one day of problems and found myself on interleaved but good with 330k/s downloads. went away for the weekend. came back. found myself downgraded to 128k (that was last monday)

phoned isp. they said there'd been a load of disconnections on sunday (when was away) and have rate adapted down. they wanted me to try the test socket and a different router (which ive just bought off ebay yesterday)

basically my problem seems to be my router has random periods of lots of disconnecting where the noise and sync is all over the place and sometimes zero.

my stable stats are
Noise Margin    28 dB    15 dB
Output Power    12 dBm    18 dBm
Attenuation    6 dB    15 dB

Stream Type    Interleaved Channel Data Rate    
Up Stream    448 (Kbps.)    
Down Stream    5824 (Kbps.)

i live about a mile from the exchange as the crow filies and the router is plugged on a short cable to the master socket which is an engineer installed filtered faceplate.  tried a filter with the test socket but no difference.

my router is a    3com 3CRWE754G72-A with latest 1.31 firmware

i have my router logs for the past 5 days, every min, including a ping to google and status of up/down

periods not shown are when the router was off.

what do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: max wierdness
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »

It wasn't stated in your stats which figures were upstream and which were downstream, so I'll assume that the first figures are upstream. You have very low attenuation and respectable noise margins, so one would normally expect a pretty stable connection. Something is producing serious intermittent levels of interference. Possibilities are:-

- poor internal extension wiring picking up unsuppressed interference from an electrical appliance
- a very bad local source of interference (exercise treadmills have been implicated a few times)
- an intermittent line fault

You can eliminate the first item (and in part the second) by plugging the router into the test socket behind the master socket faceplate (assuming that you have an NTE5 master socket).
As to the third possibility, do you hear any crackling on the telephone, and does using the telephone affect the ADSL connection?

And finally, you do have every piece of telephone equipment (including Sky boxes, fax machines etc.) connected via a filter, don't you?

Eric
  Eric

browolf

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 07:23:40 PM »

thx,
the stats are upstream/downstream

1. where the wire comes in from outside there's a very old connection and exposed wires (See attached pic)
2. i have minimal electrical appliances which are off when im not using them. the sunday that the blowout that put me on 128kb the only thing on was the fridge (i was away) however i do live in the top half of a semi. who knows what goes on down there. is that: electric interference on the same circuit? or by distance?

i  get crackling on the line when its really windy. I noticed on one occassion where i was having trouble connecting talking on the telephone caused it to magically work and then stop working when i put the phone down. happened like this on 3 occassions that night.

i tried the test socket with a filter. the connection stayed up for 9 mins. i dont use a filter normally as the faceplate is filtered. it has a data and a phone socket on.

did you look at the csv files?

for the first time in a week i seem to running at 480.0 Kbps (60k/s downloads)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:52:30 PM by browolf »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »

I think that the fact that you sometimes get crackling on the line, and the telephone sometimes affects the ADSL connection, leads to the conclusion that you have a line fault (could be a high resistance fault). If the crackling is there frequently you could report it directly to BT as a voice fault. This could be a good move as they should tidy up your incoming wiring for you without charge. Otherwise you will need to report it as an ADSL fault to your ISP (you can't report ADSL faults directly to BT retail).

Eric
  Eric

browolf

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 02:48:48 PM »

high resistance fault: is that something that can get worse over time? I mean ive noticed when its bad; leaving the router on trying to connect seems to perpetuate the badness whilst turning the router off for several hours seems to clear it. I've been on to my isp but they want me to try another router which i havent gotten my hands on yet.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 06:56:34 PM »

A high resistance fault is just a poor connection, often caused by rust on a terminal. The chances are that it will get worse with time. Sometimes, the extra current drawn when you pick up the telephone is enough to temporarily repair the connection, but it's never going to heal on its own.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:13:59 AM »

Hi

Sorry not been around the past week..  but roseway has given you good advice.

As an aside.. I suffered badly up here last sunday and a lot of houses in this area lost bits from their roofs etc.

I'd go with erics suggestion that its an actual line fault and persue it as a voice fault Hopefully then they will put an NTE5 type socket in at the point where the line enters your home.  Judging from the pic..  things look a tad out of date and need tidying up.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

browolf

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 08:05:37 AM »

thanx. the voice fault i have is pretty intermittent. it hasn't done it since last thursday. My connection has seemed a lot more stable since i took the filtered faceplate off to try the test socket AND put it back when the test made no difference.  At the moment Im on 512kb so i've gotten some increase.  Got a router off ebay that should be better at holding the line when the noise fluctuates so will have to see how that goes when i get it. other than that im monitoring it with my script.

browolf

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 06:01:27 PM »

wierd. got home from work discovered router sync'ed but completely refused to connect even with a reset (pc been off during day). left router off for 45 mins and reconnected ok and seem to have gotten a speed increase w00h00. downloaded zen test file at 400k/s
synced at 448/5600 interleaved

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 27 dB 15.5 dB
Output Power 11.5 dBm 18 dBm
Attenuation 5.5 dB 16 dB

browolf

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 05:32:29 PM »

it was fine when i got up this morning but

/cry
back on 128kbit
left router on this morning; from its logs its started dropping off from 12:40pm
24 times from then to when i got home at 16:44
coincidently or not its gotten windy again.
according to a weather station page i know approx 7 miles away it started increasing around 9am from an average (for the last few days) of 20ish mph to now of 35-40mph

i've reported it to talktalk and they said they'll get it looked into.

any ideas how long this might take? 
obviously if the wind drops i should get the speed back in 4 or 5 days

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 06:54:13 AM »

damn :(
and yes re the wind >:(

Not sure how long it could take for TT to get an engineer round - depends on how busy BT are as well.

Its always worth considering reporting it as a voice fault - however I wouldnt do that just yet if TT are on the ball with BTw
BT wont send an adsl engineer out if there is a voicefault registered on the line, so you may just have to sit tight for a few days Im afraid  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

browolf

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 08:47:08 AM »

no i've reported it to TT as a voice fault; the line crackles as well. my isp f2s are reluctant to get involved at this stage because they think its a line fault rather than a specific dsl fault.

browolf

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 05:33:50 PM »

got a new old dlink DSL-G604T router off ebay
interestingly its sync'ed at
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 7872

thats like 2k higher than before. unless bt have done something.
other stats are
US Margin 28
DS Margin 13

DS Line Attenuation 17
US Line Attenuation 14

interesting the UP attenuation is wildly different :-S

i shall commence rewriting my script as soon as time allows. already verified that i can get pages with wget.

browolf

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »

hmm it was fine for 3 hours. the wind dropped completely but then it started raining and wierdness ensued.

e.g.
Connection Status Connecting...
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 0
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 0
US Margin 7
DS Margin 14
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 21
DS Line Attenuation 18
US Line Attenuation 63
Path Mode Interleaved

left it on going crazy for a while then turned it off for an hour and then back to normal....

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 8128
US Margin 28
DS Margin 13
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 16
US Line Attenuation 14
Path Mode Interleaved

see how the attenuation jumps!!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 07:51:35 AM »

There's obviously a poor connection between you and the exchange. Hopefully BT will be able to fix it. If it's any comfort to you, I had crackly line problems a few months ago, and eventually BT fixed it, although it did take three visits. Just be nice to the BT engineers and make them lots of tea. I'm told that bacon butties go down well too.

Eric
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything