Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: max wierdness  (Read 15700 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: max wierdness
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 12:29:50 PM »

Yep could probably do that :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

browolf

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 01:41:28 PM »

another incident.

i came back home after being away for new year on tuesday to find my phone line dead. no dial tone. i took my phone to my parents house round the corner; it worked fine.  phoned talktalk; they did a "line test" said the problem was at "my end". scared me off with the whole it cost a lot routine. i'd left the router off whilst away. tried the internet. it eventually connected with an attenuation of 63! decided id best leave the router off.
tues night: when i picked up the handset; i just got bad static. discovered i could get incoming calls but the static was so bad could barely hear each other and it would often just disconnect.
wed morning decided to brave talk talk and order a bt engineer. coming sat morning

wednesday night. the static is reducing and the dial tone is intermittent.
thurday morning: hardly any static, i can dial out; internet stats back to normal.

i'm worried that when the bt man comes he wont find anything wrong!! i can't afford for bt to keep coming and find nothing wrong. why the hell is getting better? :'(  :'(
should i try and cancel the bt engineer?

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »

Sounds a bit like water ingress into your phone wiring, which initially would have caused a complete short circuit and is now slowly improving as it dries out. With the high winds and rain we've had recently, certainly in my part of the country, that would seem to be the most likely explanation. Tricky one regarding BT visit, as there may be no evidence by the time they arrive. On the other hand any joints/junctions in their wiring should be properly weatherproof otherwise this is likely to recur. Have any neighbours had phone trouble?

browolf

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 02:50:44 PM »

my downstairs neighbours had their approx same age line as me replaced a few years ago. the engineer said mine looked pretty bad but couldnt do anything unless i had a problem.  I just wish it would break and stay broke.

concerning the line test talk talk claimed to have run how does that work? and what makes them  think the problem is in my house; which the weather evidence clearly disputes. is it something to do with the fact that the phone rang on incoming calls but when i answered it was static. is that like the two wires. ones ok and one isnt?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 12:16:43 AM »

hmmmm  the time before last when you had problems was when we had gales.
I know youre pretty localish to me..  and the weather here was really bad on New Years eve again.

The Engineer can only charge if they find a fault with your own equipment (ie internal wiring/PC/router).   I would let him come.. explain the full circumstances and that it gets worse when the weather is bad.  Ask if he thinks there could be a possibility of water getting on the line somewhere.  Also mention the static and how you could hardly hear phone calls
Im inclinced to agree with what astral has said about the weather.

Make sure you offer him a cuppa and biccies and try get him on your side.
You could even go for the sympathy vote and say that your ISP has mentioned the possibility of charges.. but say that things are so bad that you needed it looking into because you cant keep having connection problems everytime the weather gets bad.
Make sure you tell him that you have done everything you can possibly do from your side of things.  Throw in a couple of words such as attenuation being 63dB so that he knows you aint stupid.. but balance it so that youre not trying to appear too smart and know his job.

>> the line test talk talk claimed to have run how does that work?

Line test is normally a WOOSH test. It tells your ISP if you are connected, and your current line stats - therefore they will be able to see your line stats.

A copy of a woosh test is here if you want to see what one looks like from the ISP side of things http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/WOOSH.gif

The only other thing I can say is that because its also now affecting the voice side of the phone - you could perhaps try getting it raised as a voice fault?

>> and what makes them  think the problem is in my house

They always tend to say that - I had problems relating to the exchange - I was reporting them as exchange related - I had proof it was exchange related..  but it was still marked down as a fault in my home :/

Good Luck
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

browolf

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 01:40:19 AM »

no talk talk is my voice provider not my isp. they did a voice/line test

thanks but in the end i phoned up talktalk and said it had magically fixed itself; they assured me the fault would be kept on my phone records. so i cancelled teh engineer.  It was worrying me too much.

if i could stop my broadband from downgrading I could almost live with it. i had a for no reason downtime of 27mins at 18:27pm before i noticed. so am back on 128kbit. I think i could alter my script to disconnect the broadband at the first sign of trouble. see i can do scripts with confidence but not  people.   :-[
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:01:06 AM by browolf »

browolf

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 12:32:29 PM »

funnily or not enough, the phone died again. so booked another engineer. guess i'd better stick with it this time as clearly the problem has escalated from fixing itself and being ok for weeks to mere days. Better get some milk too as i dont normally have it.  i'll try and follow your advice thanks kitz.

browolf

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »

seems like the phone dies every time it rains now.  :o

the internet is actually functioning on these crazy line stats

Connection Status     Connected
     Upstream Rate (Kbps)    352
     Downstream Rate (Kbps)    160
     US Margin    6
     DS Margin    0
     Modulation    MMODE
     LOS Errors    0
     DS Line Attenuation    45
     US Line Attenuation    63
     Path Mode    Interleaved

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2007, 12:25:42 PM »

When your phone dies in the rain, this is probably the damp shorting out the circuit. If someone tries to call you they would likely get engaged tone as effectively your line is in use!

Broadband is actually quite a resilient technology, as you have seen, even when the phone line is inoperable for normal use the broadband can still just work on very high resistance/poor signal.

Indeed even if one of the wires in your line was cut, the phone circuit would not work but broadband can actually continue to work over one out of the two wires.

It is doubtful that the damp is getting in anywhere to far out from your premises, as if you might expect other neighbours to be having problems unless you were somehow the only affected line (external cables + connections are now all grease filled for damp proofing, DPs, joints etc are supposed to be water tight anyway and UG cables are pressurised to prevent water getting in).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 01:06:50 PM »

Yes, a few months ago I had a bad problem with a line which went crackly after heavy rain and messed up the ADSL performance. I reported it as a voice fault, and after a couple of visits BT decided to replace the cable from a nearby pole to my house, and this fixed the problem.

Eric
  Eric

browolf

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2007, 05:40:08 PM »

It is doubtful that the damp is getting in anywhere to far out from your premises, as if you might expect other neighbours to be having problems unless you were somehow the only affected line (external cables + connections are now all grease filled for damp proofing, DPs, joints etc are supposed to be water tight anyway and UG cables are pressurised to prevent water getting in).

my flat the top half of a semi, is at least 30 years old. when i moved in 6 years ago. had to have it rewired and the sockets were still on the skirting boards. All the cabling outside the house is more than likely the original cabling when the line was originally installed. I live by the coast so lots of salt in the air too.  even tho the cabling inside the house is old too its doesnt get wet.... its either the line to the eaves of my roof or the cabling/connections from the eaves to the window where it comes in. thats what I've got my money on. :-)

browolf

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »

w00h00 bt guy replaced all the outside wiring and and through the wall and put in a little box that connected the wire from the master socket to the new wire. my broadband stats were instantly much better. he said the wiring was at least 25 years old.  he declined a brew.

Connection Status     Connected
     Upstream Rate (Kbps)    448
     Downstream Rate (Kbps)    7968
     US Margin    28
     DS Margin    12
     Modulation    MMODE
     LOS Errors    0
     DS Line Attenuation    16
     US Line Attenuation    13
     Path Mode    Interleaved

should of have asked to have the speed reset doh! wait a few days to get back to mbits then see about getting the line retrained.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2007, 11:56:23 AM »

Excellent news. Nice to know that my two years as a (pre-BT) telephone engineer weren't entirely in vain.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »

Sounds like a result! :)

Eric
  Eric

browolf

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »

thanks for everyones wisdom on the matter  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything