Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT's Handling of an enquiry  (Read 1896 times)

Maturecheese

BT's Handling of an enquiry
« on: September 20, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »

For two years I had a stable line with speeds of 1500 and 1750 respectively(these are IP Profiles and 1750 was for the last year) I complained to BT tech support about aluminium cabling that is in the ground in my area in the hope that something would be done about it to improve my speed even further.(Please bear in mind that up until now I did not have an actual problem with my line). Because of my request, UK assist instructed Openreach engineers to do a card swap in the frame to try and increase my speed, which was not what I was really after. This of course didn't work as my line was already running at its best possible speed and so it became unstable. Since this time(July 31st) my line has been a third to a half slower. My IP profile is now 1250 and I sometimes get a throughput as low as 800 odd kbps. Two engineers have attended my house, so say done another card swap and an e-side swap and BTW are saying this is the best my line can sustain due to its length. They are refusing to take any more action.

Previous stats

Attenuation 59-60
SNR 12
Conection rate @2200
IP Profile 1750

Present Stats

Attenuation 60
SNR 15
Conection Rate 1650-1850
IP Profile 1250

To complicate matters I am now in the middle of migrating to another ISP.  To be fair to BT ISP, they released me from my contract with no penalties. Should I just be patient and hope the line stats pick up in time or should I keep on complaining via my new ISP as the problem is BTW.  I know one thing, if I ever get back my 1750 Profile I will not rock the boat again.
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT's Handling of an enquiry
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:39:49 PM »

Hi and welcome.

I think that the best thing you can do is to optimise your own part of the connection as much as possible. Have a look at this page and in particular think about fitting a filtered faceplate (if you haven't already done these things).

I don't think you stand much chance of getting BT to do much more, because your present performance is not low enough compared to what it was to constitute a fault. It's frustrating, I know, but I think that's probably what you're stuck with.
  Eric