Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Don't Panic Don't Panic  (Read 4124 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Don't Panic Don't Panic
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Don't Panic Don't Panic
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »

Its the old 'It can't happen to me syndrome'I have never had or used a wireless connection but I have read enough info to know you have to have a secure connection or nasty things can happen.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »

If you're using wireless then you really must secure it Yorkie. Let us know if you need any help.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:09:47 PM »

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

I'm ok all passworded up. Whats a little disconcerting about it is the OP is quite savvy with regards to computers, he helps out in the helproom and I think he posts in the VNU help forums as well. I may use his link though for better security. Paranoid, who me?, never.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 09:03:49 PM »

What's disconcerting (to me anyway) is the complete lack of knowledge being displayed in that thread :( Turning off SSID is the biggest load of nonsense ever and results in no end of problems for end-users. It does NOT make you any more secure as security by obscurity is no security at all.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »

Must admit Ive never ever bothered turning off my SSID and still allow my Network name to be broadcast.  I dont think anyone else I know does either... yet it does seem to be something I see frequently mentioned a lot on certain forums as to how you MUST hide your SSID to improve your security.

My own thoughts are if someone is going to go to the bother of hacking my network then hiding my SSID isnt going to make a jot of difference.

Contrary to a common belief that the SSID is a WLAN security feature and its exposure a security risk, the SSID is nothing more than a wireless-space group label. It cannot be successfully hidden. Attempts to hide it will not only fail, but will negatively impact WLAN performance, and may result in additional exposure of the SSID to passive scanning. The performance impact of this misguided effort will be felt in multiple WLAN scenarios, including simple operations like joining a WLAN, and in significantly longer roaming times.
link
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »

This is one of the reasons I do not use 'wireless' and I use a 'Wired' Network .
I will look out for this Mini-bus for swad. is not a thousand miles away from me.  ;)

In our village, I know there are a lot of unsecured wireless routers.
Some of these near me who broadcast there names are elderly and may not understand the technology and it's problems, maybe they get there family to set there computer up for them.  :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »

Yep - I remember once going "driving" out of curiousity and it was surprising just how many open networks there were.   
Not just private ones either :no:
-----

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »

my supposedly computer savvy son set up my wireless connection for me, and told me securing it wasn't necessary really, he didn't bother with his, anybody could use it if they wanted :-\

If it wasn't for using forums like this, I would still be unprotected :o