Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to convert your DVD files to .AVI using AutoGK  (Read 21686 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
How to convert your DVD files to .AVI using AutoGK
« on: September 19, 2008, 02:08:15 AM »

How to convert a DVD Movie to .avi using Auto Gordian Knot (AutoGK)

You can download most of the free tools required from here:

1. Once you have the DVD backup on your HDD
Run AutoGK from the start menu or the shortcut that was installed and you should see this screen:

2. First you need to select your input file.
Click the small folder button beside the "Input file" text box and browse to the directory where the DVD backup files are stored.
(It should be possible to select VTS_01_0.IFO but this does not always work, I think it depends on the type of DVD that it's reading)

So, if necessary select the file called VTS_01_1.VOB.
Once you have found the file click it, then click "Open" you will then return to the main window.

Although, even this can sometimes be a little hit-and-miss until you find the correct file.
Also, these numbers can vary, such as, VTS_04_1.VOB.

3. Note: If you backed up a whole DVD movie, then you "may" see a window similar to this appear:
These files consist of the Main movie and/or a  Extended version of the movie or trailers".
In this screen just select the item that is appropriate to you (for reference just select the item with the correct length which is usually the longest). Once you've selected the item click "OK"

4. Next, click the small folder icon beside the "Output file" text-box and you will see a "Save As" window.
Browse to where you wish your final converted movie to go, input the intended name for your final movie file and then when done click "Save".

4a.If you selected to include any subtitles while backing up the DVD you will need to select the items from the Subtitle track(s) list box on the right hand side of the screen.
There may also be additional audio streams present, you can select these options if you want depending on what you wish to be included in the final output. Now your main window should look something like this:

5. Next, you need to set the intended "Output size" for the final movie.
From the drop-down menu there are several options, for a average 90minute movie the "Predefined size 1 CD (700MB)" setting is used by most people and will produce a file of approximately 700MB.
The "2 CDs (1400MB)" setting will split the movie into two separate 700MB files.
However, if you wanted the larger file size so as not to compress the file as much, then chose the "Custom size" and set this to "1401MB" this will then produce a "single movie" of 1400MB, but with practise you will get to know what you want.

6. "If" you click the "Advanced Settings" button and you will see the following window:
Although you can select the Output width, Output audio and bitrate.
Most things can be left on "Auto" unless you need to change them.
I would also suggest using XviD for the Codec unless you have a reason to change it.

7. If you have included subtitles and do not wish to always see them for the full movie but still want to see the subtitles that are normally displayed when a foreign language is being spoken on screen (these are called forced subtitles) then check the check-box labelled "Display only forced subtitles".
If you don't check this, then these will not be shown in the final movie.

Note: Any and all changes made become the default setting the next time the program is opened, so there is no need to alter them again.

Note: For the more advanced user, you can also set many additional (and more advanced) settings by holding down the Ctrl key and hitting F9 or/and F11.
Unless you know what you are doing do not change any of the settings in those windows.
Once you are done here click "OK" to return back to the main window.

8. Click the "Add Job" button and you will see the item has been added to the bottom right list-box.
This is the task box and shows you the tasks that are ready to be processed.
Unless you wish to add another task then click the "Start" button.
The process is completely automated from this point.
This may also take some time depending on the size of the movie and the speed of your PC.

Note: If you want to convert more than one movie at a time, simply go back and follow the same sequence again. (except for any change settings)

edit.
Text changed to read:
VTS_01_0.IFO changed to read "VTS_01_1.VOB"
Tools download link added.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 01:25:56 AM by oldfogy »

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: How to convert your DVD files to .AVI using AutoGK
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »

OF
That's excellent. I must download AutoGK and see what it can do for me.  Since you're obviously a whizz with video stuff (!) can you point me in the direction of software or help me with a problem I have tried for over a year to solve, please?

My daughter has taken quite a lot of cam corder video of her children and wants to send copies to her inlaws in USA. Two problems: the dvds are the mini 4"(?) ones and ideally I would like to copy 3 x 4" to one standard DVD and secondly the produced DVD should be in NTSC format or father in law can only play on his PC. This is not very convenient for the rest of the family. Oh, and I would really like to keep the original section titles. These are only dates but they are very useful to judge how the grandchildren are growing.

I  had some success once using a combination of Nero and two other shareware progs but somewhere along the line the sequence of operations has escaped me (I am also an OF!) and I wondered if you could help. Does AutoGK offer anything along these lines. I can't believe this facility is not readily available out there but last time I Googled there seemed a distinct dearth of info. As you are aware you only know if you have succeeded after an hour or two's DVD burning and consumption of many Gigs of HD space. I do hope you can help.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:57:09 PM »

>> Does AutoGK offer anything along these lines.
Actually I'm not too sure, I think you could run a movie through AutoGK just to be able to change it region,
IE, PAL to NTSC
As for the rest of your question, I have only ever used Nero to do what you want to do.

Although what you could try is to reduce the current DVD's into smaller .AVI files.
Import them into Nero and then with creating a menu produce the normal DVD.

Two things to remember, DVD's are based on the size of the file, so the better the quality, the bigger the file.
Don't forget to change the output to NTSC before starting the operation.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »

Thanks for your quick response. I had a vain hope that you would have identified a program that would automate the entire process of combining DVDs. I'm sure there must be many others with camcorder minidiscs needing this process. I have got a later version of Nero on this new machine I've just built so perhaps I should have a closer look at that.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »

I had a vain hope that you would have identified a program that would automate the entire process of combining DVDs.
Yes Nero will do that for you, the only reason I may convert to .avi format first is if I wanted to trim bits out of the movie first.
I did have a tutorial for this and if I can find it I'll post it (if it's not on this site already)

However this is the shortened version:

1. For ease and convenience, copy all of your existing DVDs onto your HDD using "DVD Shrink" or "DVD Decrypter"
(I prefer DVD Shrink)

2. Start Nero and select where the finished movie is to be stored.
(personally I prefer to have it stored on he HDD, and then burn it later) this way if the result is not good enough when I view it, then you have not wasted a blank DVD.

3. Select the first .Vob "of each of your existing DVDs", (select as many as you want to fill a DVD)
A standard 4.7GB DVD can play 3 hours of reasonable quality home movie.

4. Create a menu to make it look better/nice.

5. Select (in your case) NTSC format.

6. Press "Start" then sit back and wait.

I have got a later version of Nero

I use Nero 6 Reloaded.
I have tried later versions of Nero and did not like them, so have no reason to change from something that does what I "need and want" it to do.
(Sometimes older programs are actually better than a new version)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »

Thanks, OF. I will try Nero again and see how I get on.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:47:18 PM »

Your welcome & good luck.

Any problems please come back and hopefully we can resolve it/them.

edit
You may like to take a look here.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=2962.new;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:36:05 PM by oldfogy »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 10:45:15 AM »

Thanks OF, this is great ;D

I can also confirm that it works fine on Vista !
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

anything