Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello folks  (Read 7894 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Hello folks
« on: September 25, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »

Hi Folks,

I recently joined the forum, and have already launched in with a few posts, but thought it might be good manners to also introduce myself.

I'm a software engineer with an electronics background and over 30 years experience under my belt, mostly writing lower layer protocol stacks for data and telephony applications.  I've had a life-long interest in telephones and, as a school kid, used to hang around the entrance to the telephone exchange after school, pleading with the returning engineers to give me any broken stuff they'd picked up on their rounds.  You'd be surprised what a 12 year-old could do in the late 60's with a few grotty old telephone receivers and some rickety dials.

I've never had cause to investigate the workings of adaptive ADSL until recently, when I experienced problems with my own line that I needed to understand.  In my pursuit of knowledge I stumbled upon this truly excellent website.   Please acccept my hearty congratulations on its creation!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Hello folks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »

Hi sevenlayermuddle and welcome to the forums  :)

PS,where's the name come from  :hmm:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »

We've already met, but welcome anyway, and thanks for your kind remarks. :)
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 04:36:48 PM »

My parents showed incredible foresight when they christened me as, twenty odd years later, I was to become involved in the 'OSI seven layer model' of protocol stacks.

I was about to explain the seven layer model but I'd probably get it wrong and show myself up, and probably put you to sleep in the process, so here's a link to wiki if you really want to know...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »

I'll take your word for it SLM.  :D

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 04:50:10 PM »

used to hang around the entrance to the telephone exchange after school, pleading with the returning engineers to give me any broken stuff they'd picked up on their rounds.  You'd be surprised what a 12 year-old could do in the late 60's with a few grotty old telephone receivers and some rickety dials.

So it WAS you who took over the GPO!  :D

Welcome to the forums. Pull up a chair, get you feet under the table and feel free to offer advice from your extensive bank of telecom knowledge.

dave

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »

Hi there :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »

That's a lovely picture, even if it makes me feel my age.  And I always thought Openreach vans had invented the "We can park on the pavement/verge" rule (highway code page ???), how nice to know it was actually their ancestors.  ;D

BTW I didn't mean to suggest I'd actually be any use to anybody on the forum, but maybe I'll try and throw in my ha'pence worth once in a while.  I'll not be offended if you choose to ignore it.

used to hang around the entrance to the telephone exchange after school, pleading with the returning engineers to give me any broken stuff they'd picked up on their rounds.  You'd be surprised what a 12 year-old could do in the late 60's with a few grotty old telephone receivers and some rickety dials.

So it WAS you who took over the GPO!  :D

Welcome to the forums. Pull up a chair, get you feet under the table and feel free to offer advice from your extensive bank of telecom knowledge.

dave

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 11:23:29 PM »

Hi and welcome. :)
When I was 12 ish I built my own small telephone exchange for my parents house.
I took over the green house as my workshop ( well at 12 I could escape down the long garden away from my parents  ;D ) .
I made the exchange with P.O. relays and uni-selectors from the local surplus shop and was given 12 old phones from the local scrap yard.
I went along to the local Reference library to read up on phone exchanges and worked out some basic circuits that would give me a dial tone and to be automatic and would work 12 phones.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 06:24:31 AM »

a 12 year-old... in the late 60's

That makes us a very similar vintage. :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 09:18:07 AM »

Bonjour and Welcome   SLM     (may I shorten you to that ?!)   .... :)

Floydy,   'vintage'  ??  does that mean you've matured well    :lol:   ;)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 09:28:49 AM »

Hi Scottiesmum,

SLM is fine.

I had to make something up for the forums and after pondering that challenge for more hours than I'd care to admit, SLM (the long version) is what came to mind.   I'm be happy to get used to the short version.

As for tickmike's telephone exchange... Wow!, I'm impressed.  The most I achieved was a point to point intercom that allowed to to phone my Mum and ask her to bring cups of tea when I awoke.  Incredibly, she did.

- SLM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »

Hi Sevenlayermuddle..

Apologies for the late welcome, but last week was rather hectic and I'm still catching up on various posts.

Having encountered some of your other posts I did wonder what the name was about so thanks for confirming the OSI reference model. - Gosh that brings back memories.

Now Im curious about the "foresight of your parents"...  and am thinking that you must be "Ozzy" :D

Welcome aboard SLM :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 09:38:58 AM »

Floydy,   'vintage'  ??  does that mean you've matured well    :lol:   ;)

You'd better believe it.