Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Happy 50th birthday to the microchip  (Read 2314 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Happy 50th birthday to the microchip
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:03:12 AM »

Today is the 50th anniversary of the first demonstration of an integrated circuit. It was developed by Jack Kilby at Texas Instruments. He was a new employee who hadn't yet got any holiday entitlement, so he occupied what would have been his holiday time by inventing the product which the modern world is totally dependent on. Raise a glass to Jack Kilby! :drink:

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4735461.ece
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Happy 50th birthday to the microchip
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »

Yep that certainly is the invention that revolutionised the modern world... then of course the next big leap forwards was the first processor on a single chip which didn't happen till 1971: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_4004

I've often wondered how big my desktop PC would be if it was built entirely from traditional components such as transistors, diodes, resistors and capacitors.  ???

Oh yes, and I'll raise a glass (or two) to Jack Kilby tonight.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »

I will raise a glass to that  8).
Working in a 'Research establishment'  there was great excitement  when the first cpu's arrived and I remember knocking circuits up on 'Vero Board' with cmos chips, capacitors, diodes and resistors etc.
I remember using a 'wire rap' gun for the first time to help to make the job of connecting thousands of wires up :'(.

One day in my lab one of the guys was taking our phone to bits and wiring it up to a circuit he made up in his spare time, he ask me to go to one of our other offices and he had modified that too, then the phone rang and before I could pick it up odd sounds were coming from it, then alot of data came on an oscilloscope next to it.
It was a one of the first Modem chip he had ordered and made up a circuit without telling any body, but when other scientist found out they realised it could solve a problem of sending data from some of our remote  sites around the country.
I have used some very large 'Transistors' each with a solid base of brass 3'' x3'', it was rated at 500 amps at 1200 volts, we used them for some inverters to drive a new electric motor built inside an train axle .
Fun days. ;D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:22:50 PM »

Oh no it's a "I worked on older, more obsolete stuff than you thread" :P I only go back as far as the 6502 which, given the way I feel today, is quite far enough :D

I remember when TI were your first source for just about everything if you designed electronic circuits.