Computers & Hardware > PC Hardware

New PC

(1/3) > >>

roseway:
I'm having some fun today. I decided a few days ago that it was time to build myself a new machine, and this time I was going to make it a quiet one. After doing some research I selected an extra-quiet Antec case (it's got things like rubber-band mounting for disk drives), a quiet Antec power supply (large slow-moving fan), a Seagate fluid-bearing hard disk, and a fanless graphics card. The processor is an Athlon x2 with an Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 cooler which had excellent reviews.

I ordered the kit from Ebuyer at about 11:00 yesterday, and at 10:00 this morning it turned up. I spent a few hours putting it together, and I'm now installing a test OS to see how it goes. It's so quiet I can hardly hear a sound, except when the DVD-Rom winds up.

I'm feeling rather smug. 8)

Eric

archie123:
ah the quiet pc , a thing to behold  ;D , unfortunately with a 100 watt psu , 2 x GPU's and a seriously overclocked CPU i have fans blowing in all directions ;)

I envy you  >:(  I cant hear myself type ;)

do you still get the same feeling of satisfaction when it boots for the first time as you did when you built your first one? I do ;) , mostly im  happy its booting and not just beeping at me like a derranged roadrunner ;)

roseway:
Quietness doesn't come cheap of course, except for the CPU cooler which only cost ?6-odd and is beautifully quiet.
Yes, I do get that feeling of satisfaction when it boots for the first time. There's always the worry that, in standing on the CPU cooler to get the second clip on, I may have busted something. But despite the slight stress, it's far more satisfying to build rather than buy, and at least I know that no corners have been cut in the choice of components.

Eric

tickmike:
Hello Eric, very nice.
That's what I'm going to do with the next one I build, The small fan on my graphics card sounds like an RB211 jet engine when I switch on, then goes quieter after about 1 minute, I've oiled it twice but then gets noisy after two or three weeks.
Michael.

roseway:
Hello Michael,
As I'm not a games player (not that sort of game anyway) the graphics performance isn't a crucial issue for me. I used an nVidia XFX 6200 card which has still got quite a respectable performance with a passive heatsink, and was pretty cheap as well.

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version