Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Laptop - Toshiba Sattelite Pro A60  (Read 5661 times)

Shaft

Laptop - Toshiba Sattelite Pro A60
« on: May 07, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »

I have a problem with the above laptop in that it overheats and shuts down after an hour, it can be restarted after 10 to 15 mins.  Any body got any ideas that don't cost a fortune?  (I am an OAP).   I used to work for a company that restored pcs after a fire or flood,  this entailed stripping and cleaning them, unfortunately I never had to deal with laptops which is a pity.   At the last resort I could strip it if anybody has a solution that requires it.

Regards Shaft

Shaft

Re: Laptop - Toshiba Sattelite Pro A60
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »

All OK now, I seem to have cured it by using a compressor and blowing all the c*** out of it.   Now works without getting hot and shutting down.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »

That's good to hear. :)

Eric
  Eric

DirtyDonkey

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 11:42:48 PM »

Hi Shaft
I also have the misfortune of owning the Tosh Sat A60.
Same problem, I had shut downs ranging from an hour or so right down to during boot-up! This, of course started about 2 days after the warranty ran out!

Having worked with laptops for years (mostly Macs) I was convinced it was an overheating/fan/dust/nicotine issue.
I returned it to the Toshiba service agent who tried to tell me the motherboard needed replacing at £400! No way!
Local dealer gave it a GOOD clean out for £10 and it worked better for a while, but eventually returned to the shut-down state.

A friend of a friend, who is a laptop expert, had a look at it for me, and replaced the hard drive as he was convinced this was the problem (luckily he had just upgraded his laptop) he was also appalled at the way the heatsink paste had been applied to the chip and remounted it.
While he had it, he also noted that it was cutting out during vigorous shaking, (as you do!) suggesting a short around the battery area. So he tightened up a few screws around that area too.

Don’t suppose any of the above is a GREAT help, but if I may suggest, PLEASE back up as often as possible, as it may go again at any time! Sorry to be so negative!

By the time I thought about backing up, it would not run long enough to do it!
I now have a hard disc with precious photos of South Africa that I may never see again!

Hope it all works out for you.

DirtyDonkey

PS They are an absolute b*gger to open!

Shaft

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 11:58:58 AM »

Just to let you all know, it is still working fine.   One company wanted £260. just to look at it!!!   Cost me a text message to one of my old workmates.

Shaft

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 01:16:28 PM »

>> Cost me a text message to one of my old workmates.

-- and maybe a pint ;)  :drink:

Glad you got it sorted :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker