Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Without 'CERN' and 'Scientists' you would not have the WWW !.  (Read 3607 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Without 'CERN' and 'Scientists' you would not have the WWW !.
« on: September 09, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »

Without 'CERN' and 'Scientists' you would not have the WWW !.

Where the web was born

Tim Berners-Lee, a scientist at CERN, invented the World Wide Web (WWW) in 1990. The Web, as it is affectionately called, was originally conceived and developed to meet the demand for automatic information sharing between scientists working in different universities and institutes all over the world.

CERN is not an isolated laboratory, but rather a focus for an extensive community that now includes about 60 countries and about 8000 scientists. Although these scientists typically spend some time on the CERN site, they usually work at universities and national laboratories in their home countries. Good contact is clearly essential.

The basic idea of the WWW was to merge the technologies of personal computers, computer networking and hypertext into a powerful and easy to use global information system.

See    http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/About/Web-en.html
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Without 'CERN' and 'Scientists' you would not have the WWW !.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »

Yes, and Tim Berners-Lee could have got rich with his invention, but he chose to donate it to the world so everyone could benefit from it. Here's to Tim! :drink:
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:23:01 AM »

It's not far from when someone in Bt had the idea of checking though the patents raised

"Whats this one about something called HTTP, is it in use a bit? any possible revenue?"

"err just a......well err"

" Whats the expiry?       

Oh bug*"%er"

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:44:13 AM »

This is a good site that explains more about what goes on at 'cern'    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7543089.stm

If you want to see the worlds largest computer , look at the 'Grid' section.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:42:49 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:36:30 AM »

Whoa! apparently the Hadron Collider Project will create enough Data to fill a 100GB Hard Disk every 4mins or 15Pentabytes aka. 15million Gigabytes every Year imagine all the sensors and monitors and even power it takes to run that that honestly shows you how science has evolded in the last century or so  :graduate:
Imagine™

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:47:55 PM »

Reading this thread and links whilst eating my tea..  I couldnt help but feeling deja vue over a few things.

1) Was there ever a novel written about a CERN like structure/ experiment where things went a bit wrong?  I seem to recall reading a book maybe several years ago about something sounding very similar.

2).  The BT patent thing rang a bell too and I did have some sucess with googling that only over the hyperlink
British Telecom sues Prodigy over U.S. hyperlink patent

BT, which holds about 15,000 patents worldwide, found that similar patents were filed in other countries, but have since expired. The U.S. patent does not expire until October 2006, Gordon said.

But it would seem that Tim Berners-Lee is actually accredited to writing the http protocol.

/goes back to eating my tea.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything