Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Networking a new laptop  (Read 12775 times)

dave1510

Networking a new laptop
« on: December 05, 2006, 10:47:08 PM »

Need a hand with probably a small problem:

My Brother in law has a Desktop PC which he used to connect to Talk Talk via a Speedtouch USB modem.

As they are gaining a laptop, he has bought a router/modem. (Linksys WAG54G)

We have connected it up and it works fine.

The said laptop is the problem - It is a Fujitsu Siemens L7320GW (Staples)

It has an "Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adaptor" which according to the Device manager is enabled and "woking properly".

However there are "No wireless networks within range" when it is 6 inches away from the router!

I have tried to set up a wireless network connection using automatic settings and have put the WEP encryption code into the router setup page as it was given by the lap top.

I think I need to start again from scratch, but would appreciate some advice in really easy to understand terms!

I have a desktop PC connected wirelessly to my router, but it is connected via a Linksys USB dongle.

Do I have to use a Linksys USB dongle to connect this laptop to the router. I find this unlikely

I tried using a 26 digit generated code should I have used a 10?

I think I am struggeling on the network bit. - would appreciate some guidence - as I said in simple easy to read & understand terms.

Thanx :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Networking a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »

This may seem really obvious, but is the wireless actually active on the laptop?

On your laptop if you hold down the [Fn] key and then press [F2], you should see a little indicator light come on or off - it might show something on the screen as well.

Hopefully that's all it is.
Chris

dave1510

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »

I'm all for being told the "really obvious" because usualy - it isnt to the person who's stuck!

I will try this, and post back

Thank :)

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:13:13 AM »

Don't forget some laptops might have proper dedicated buttons or even switches for turning wireless on/off in place of function key combinations.

Our Linksys has never caused any problems, so as you pointed out, other laptop was fine so must be something on said laptop.

Out of interest are you using a third party application or the Windows wireless functionality? I guess your using Windows XP? Note that Service Pack 2 has a far superiour wireless interface to SP1, although the later does support WEP encryption (but not WPA etc).

I also know that when SP2 was released, and I installed it, my original wireless drivers caused me problems and I had to download and install a newer version for the wireless to work properly.

And finally... check what networking protocols are set on your Wireless connection on said laptop.

Untick everything apart from "Client for MS networks" (providing it is a microsoft orientated network) and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)".

Anything else (apart from maybe QoS Quality of service if you use it) can be unticked as I know the drivers on my laptop installed things such as WLAN protocol and AEGIS protocol which only made connections fail or drop out altogether.

Hope that might help (or at least provide some info)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:17:32 AM »

Don't forget some laptops might have proper dedicated buttons or even switches for turning wireless on/off in place of function key combinations.
I looked up the key combo for this particular laptop before posting that ;)
Chris

dave1510

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »

I looked up the key combo for this particular laptop before posting that
Can you tell me whether I can look up to view any other infor that might help me regarding this (i.e. plan of said lap top keyboard? (Not by lap top at moment, and may try and do a (over the phone) job!)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 05:09:09 PM »

Go to http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/support/manuals.html

Type in L7320GW into the search box that comes up... then you can view the different manuals for the laptop online

Hope this helps :)
Chris

dave1510

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:44:08 PM »

Didn't seem to work for me:

First link gave me:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6657/screen1mt9.jpg

typing L7320GW into the search box gave me:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7558/screen2ku3.jpg

What have I done wrong?

:(

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:06:29 AM »

I guess you'd have to follow the instructions on the first screen... to allow session cookies for the site to work properly. I forgot it did that!
Chris

dave1510

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 07:43:08 PM »

Nope - sorry - tried that - no better - even went to the next one below the one mentioned  :thumbdown:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 12:37:32 AM »

worked ok from here.

Can you get to it direct from this link

http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/Manuals/ShowDescription_KMT.asp?DokuID=204098

I know the first bit is in german.. 
but if you click the download button it gives you the UK document.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave1510

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 02:18:26 PM »

:thumbs:  Thats great - now to do some reading...

One thing as I'm here - even though I select to "stay permnanantly logged in" each time I access the forum site from the email alert, I have to log in again - is this normal?

Thanx :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 02:55:51 PM »

>> I have to log in again - is this normal?

Nope..  you should remain permanently logged in.
However its a cookie that controls the login facility.

In view of the fact that you couldnt access the FJS site properly either, I  think that maybe you have your cookie settings set too strict.

Check which settings you have.
In IE >>

Tools >>
Internet Options >>
"Privacy" Tab >>
Click the "Advanced" Button >>

You should have the following as per the image below.

First party cookies store information you have already given to a particular website.

more info
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/computer-security/cookies.html
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/opinions/cookies.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

browolf

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 03:11:44 PM »

i'd be inclined to use netstumbler to detect the wireless before worrying about trying to connect to it.  That way you can concentrate on the harware issues.

we had a laptop once with an internal expansion wireless card in a secret compartment that someone had forgotten to connect the antenna wire!

dave1510

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 05:57:43 PM »

Thanks Kitz, I found they were set to "Auto" - have now adjusted to your recomendations (Auto was a slider - moderatly high)

I do use cc cleaner & Adaware about once a week, would this wipe out the cookies?

If it does, is there anything I can do, or will I just have to live with it? (logging in each time after I have run these programs)

Pages: [1] 2