News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ikea  (Read 4844 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Ikea
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »

I got a catalogue through the door yesterday from the above and just realised you can shop online.  ;D
They seem to be the butt of a lot of jokes, having never been in one of their shops or dealt with them are they really as bad as people make out, or is it just a 'snob' thing.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Ikea
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:34:47 PM »

I don't really know as I have never been but do get the catalogues!
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 08:25:29 PM »

I go with my daughter now and again, and to be honest a lot of their furniture is quite nice and decently made, and a lot is tat, but the prices are within the range of a lot of young people.  My grand daughter and her partner have more or less furnished their house from there, (kids won't have hand me downs these days, got to be brand new)

They also have a huge kitchen and 'knick knacks' range which I quite enjoy browsing, although rarely buy anything. Take a trip there and see for yourself

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:19:41 PM »

Most of it is cheap & cheerful.

I think the the jokes all started because to begin with the goods were "different" (retro even) in-so-far that they were out of the ordinary, and not exactly very stylish, but that has nearly all changed now.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »

I'm glad you said that OF 'cos there were one or two things I liked.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:30:12 PM »

I've been a few times, the stores have set pathways you follow round as you go through the store. The 1st time I went it was packed (felt I should have been bleating, half expected to be sheared at some point, hang on ! 2 weeks ago...... :lol:)

The futons and sofas are awfull, very cheep feel, I've got a couple on bedside shelfs which are very solid ond only cost £10.00, duckboards for the bathroom, a few kitchen nicknacks which are very well made and got some plastic matting on rolls which can be cut to suit kitchen draws and shelfs. The house is fully fitted out with low energy bulbs, at £2.00 each when the next cheepest anywhere was £6:50 each at the time and I've only had one blow after 8 years.

If it's something of significance then I would highly recomend going to a store to see the item for your self. as similar-quality looking items in a catalogue can look very good and very poor in comparison close up

They have quite a few items where the wood has no finish on them so you can paint/stain/varnish items yourself to suit and keeps the cost down and makes thing versitile and very affordable. got a natty shelf with draws which I've stained and varnished which blends together my light beech furnishings with the desk I've resurected which I've used for my PC

(£5:00 from a 2nd hand office furniture merchant, it would have been skipped as it was too old fashioned looking for any modern office and had some fire damage on it, from what I found it came from Norwich main library when it burnt down.

Stipped the varnish off, stained the pine to a walnut finish, satin varnish. Looks very very smart and expensive now with some new brass draw handles. I push a panel to the left and an extra desk pops out to my left. same on the right but with a big tray for pens etc inset. 1.5m wide 1m, deep plenty of space. I rekon the stain and varnish cost me a further £15:00. the nearest thing I've seen in an antique shop was £140 and mine is now in mint condition where as the otherone looked desidedly used  ;) 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »

We love Ikea,the only trouble is we have to go to either Leeds or Nottingham(both about 35,40 miles away).Nice breakfast for 95p.  :yum:

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »

The problem with the breakfast if you have to assemble it yourself

Pine sauages anyone            :lol:

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:11:47 PM »

Just checked and my nearest store is Leeds, as I don't have a car afraid a visit is out, and it sounds like a store that needs a visit to check things out.

Just been reading about Norwich Library fire, what a tragic disaster that was.

Ezzer that was a terrible joke.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »

A company my Mum used to work for organised all sorts of trips to west end shows. Later they did a few coach trips to the lakeside or wembley stores, due to the size of the baggage hold any bulky perchases could be brought back easly, better than "how do I get this on a roof rack ?"

As for the joke  :blush: soz, could'nt resist, Ezzer goes to the NC

Golfer

• This is how I THINK I look
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 10:55:37 AM »

(felt I should have been bleating, half expected to be sheared at some point,

Quite correct!!!   It's the only store in the world where they employ border collies as floorwalkers!  :lol:

Nice meatballs tho'................
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
Run like **************!
AH 1945

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 11:07:46 AM »

Just been reading about Norwich Library fire, what a tragic disaster that was.

Yeah but the new Forum building which now houses the library (amongst other things) is much nicer looking than the 1960's monstrosity it replaced.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »

Yeah but the new Forum building which now houses the library (amongst other things) is much nicer looking than the 1960's monstrosity it replaced.
Strange how sometimes something as unfortunate as a fire, brings around a change in what is needed to get things updated.

(I hope no one was injured in the fire)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »

I don't thing anyone was injured, the fire started about 7am... you could see the smoke across the city for miles, as I recall.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »

Then there was the Assembly House at a not disimilar time (and only a stones throw away) Nice job of restoring that. The paint wharehouse some where near the old swimming pools, and the day we were trapped in an industrial estate downwing of Rhone Poulenc as it was then. I remember the smoke plume covering Norwich. We had a cage delivered that morling so people could ride the fork lift tines, We tried it out at 55ft when we noticed the flames and fire balls before the police came round and got every one to go back into their units and seal all the doors and windows. I was begining to wonder if I moved into a city of pyromaniacs
Pages: [1] 2

anything