Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BT internet dropping out  (Read 24441 times)

moxy

Re: BT internet dropping out
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 02:16:19 PM »

The saga is finally solved... it’s what I told BT 6 weeks ago, an iffy card in the exchange, but the whole episode has highlighted the failings in BT’s procedures, [although Openreach, which, I assume is the first port of call when a line/internet fault is reported, is not strictly BT ]. I don’t want to slag off BT too much cos they pay my pension, but sod all has changed over the years, although I would say that years ago, local engineers taking fault reports had local knowledge which made fault clearing quicker and more efficient. Following my first post, the engineer closed off the fault report as being cleared, but Mr Gupta in India, said to monitor the line for a week and keep them updated. I duly kept them updated once a week, but because the fault was logged as cleared, nobody acted on my additional information, nor had the courtesy to inform me that no action was being taken on my updates.
  I got mad a few days ago and insisted that the fault be rectified or I would cancel my account, so another engineer came the next day and declared that there were “thousands” of errors on my line, and that he would go up to the exchange and change my port. An hour later he phoned back saying he’d changed the card and tested everything, and like a dipstick, as he was saying things I wanted to hear, I took him at his word and didn’t bother checking my router. Anyway my internet was as dead as a dodo, phoned up Mr Gupta, to get the engineer back to the exchange whilst he was still in the area, but I was then stuck in the infernal loop of procedure whereby Mr Gupta has to follow his tick record. (Is it an internet fault?? What router ?? wired or wireless, NO none of those I just want the idiot back to connect my internet!!! I will test your line ... the bl**dy line has been tested 3 times in the last 2 days I want the engineer to do what he is paid to do, fix my internet!!!). There was no procedure whereby I could get out of this loop and get to speak to this engineer’s control. I get annoyed talking to the Indian call centres, I can’t express my feelings in a good old Anglo Saxon manner because they are only following rules, but I managed to convey my displeasure and an engineer returned the following morning and found a dis connection in the exchange.
  When BT was privatised all those years ago, we were lectured that ALL faults will be cured first time, every time, to save return visits and give a first rate service, 25 years on, things have changed, they’ve got worse.
  Tis the end of my ramble, many thanks to all for your suggestions to try to solve my prob, it’s been interesting learning about noise margins REIN etc., but spookily, gut feelings often give the best clue and had I stuck with mine, my internet would have been working weeks ago. Many thanks to one and all, one lives and learns, regards, moxy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 09:13:52 PM »

Thanks for reporting back Moxy.

Well Im glad you stuck at it.. and finally got a result you deserved. I wont say anything about the loop with BTs CS  :-X

>> an iffy card in the exchange

That makes me think - several years ago, I hardly if ever heard of faults being on the line card..  yet it seems to become more and more common these days.  Wonder if some of the older dslams are now nearing the sell by date for their line cards.. or if a certain batch arent quite up to scratch... or if its just something perhaps to do with MAXdsl.

Ezzer.. have you noticed similar increases in problems being with the linecard?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »

There's 2 exchanges I go to with particular card problems. I suspect one of them could be lightning damage as thats when the faults started and there were plenty of end user routers which had gone faulty. although I always start a broadband fault from the exchange myself.
1 to check it has been jumpered.
2 in smaller exchanges where the inputs and outputs are on the same side make sure the dsl is wired the right way round (ok I know it sounds a stupid mistake but it's supprisingly easy to do and it's supprising how rare it happens.
3 the right no. is on the right broadband port.
4 i can get sync straight on the output.
5 I can get sync with 60db load
6 the apts test is ok with a good ppp connection.
7 check the module on the mdf

then we go to the customer because if any of the above isn't right then it pointless going to the customer first

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »

>> then we go to the customer because if any of the above isn't right then it pointless going to the customer first

Unfortunately I dont think they all do it that way round, and many visit the premises first. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

moxy

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »

Quite right, kitz, certainly with BT, every time I've reported this internet fault the first thing they do is test the line. The first engineer who visited was a linesman, tested everything cablewise, so how he could log the fault as clear, God only knows. Subsequent calls to India always result in a line test, I must have the most tested line in the UK. But what gets me, is that they don't seem to look at the history of the line, after 4 line tests, why don't they check in the exchange, beggars belief?!!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06:21 PM »

>> is that they don't seem to look at the history of the line,

I think thats another common gripe Ive seen. 
I must stress that not all engineers are like this..  Ive come across some very good ones who do their damndest to get faults resolved and will go the extra mile.
To be fair some of the limitations on the Engineer are actually restrictions placed by BT Openreach, such as time slots, logging procedures and withdrawal of certain tools which no longer allow the engineer access to certain information.
-----

moxy

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »

As I'm still a little miffed, does anyone know the bloke in charge of openreach and BT broadband and their respective postal addresses please???, regards, moxy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »

BT Group Structure  + Address

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Companyprofile/Companyprofile.htm

BT Retail Names of who's in charge

http://www.btplc.com/thegroup/companyprofile/groupbusinesses/btretail/

email normally takes the format of
[firstname].[lastname]@bt.com
-----

moxy

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 11:47:41 PM »

Well, what service Kitz, I think I'll come here again, many thanks, moxy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 12:25:52 PM »

yw moxy.

btw.. youre more than welcome to join in the chat section too - I believe you may already be familiar with some of the names in there :)
-----

moxy

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »

Thanks to you Kitz, a result of sorts. Following the info you supplied, re BT structure, a few posts back, I sent letters, by recorded delivery, to the CEOs of Openreach and Retail. (I don't use e-mails for things like this, because they are easily deleted, a letter can be read and even if the recipient throws a strop and chucks it in the bin, he may reflect, and retrieve it later). The above episode cost me £180 or so to replace my phone system, router, filters and odds and sods of cables, so I made my displeasure well clear in incurring these unnecessary expenses, replacing equipment that was not faulty. To be fair, one of the CEOs gave me a courtesy call the next day to say that he had received my letter and would be acting on it. The outcome was, that he was interested in the call centre failings and would be making changes, and also I received a nice cheque for £180.
I thought that that would be the end of the matter, but alas, since my port was changed in the exchange, I only get download speeds of 1.8 megs, more calls to Mr Gupta, they upped the profile to 5 meg but it kept dropping back to 2, more calls, so they upped to 2.5 meg which has remained stable and I now get speeds of 2.3. More phone calls, stating that I used to have download speeds of over 5 megs therefore there must still be a fault somewhere, but in the end, Mr Gupta came close to loosing his rag and said that they could do no more, and disconnected the call.
Now, am I missing something? For 2 years or so, I had speeds of 5 megs plus, since this fault they say my line won't sustain anything over 2.5 megs. I think another letter is called for. Thanks again to Kitz and the rest of the gang for your help, I think that there may be another chapter to come, regards, moxy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 03:28:59 PM »

Hi Moxy - thats good news about the refund... but bad news that your line is still unstable.

IIRC during the early stages both Ezzer and I, both thought that your line was experiencing typical symptoms of REIN.
Have you at any point discussed the possibility of a REIN fault with BT, and said about the large fluctuations in the SNR Margin?

REIN faults can be very intermittant and it could well explain why at first the replacement linecard could have thought to have cured the problem, but it hasnt really.
-----

moxy

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »

I had a stroll around with a radio some weeks ago, I didn't come up with anything tangible. I think that I have been re-connected to old, slow,obsolete port/card in the exchange. Even when I was getting intermittant disconnections weeks ago, I was still getting speeds of 5 meg + or -, and the fault was proved to an iffy port, so I'm happy it's not a rein problem. Another letter will be on its way soon, thanks for your suggestions though, moxy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything