Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BT internet dropping out  (Read 24436 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT internet dropping out
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 10:30:06 AM »

DMT has some very good uses, but it is harder to interpret the SNR results, routerstats would be much better in your case because what we really want to see is whats happening with your SNR Margin.   Once its set up you can just leave it monitoring and it will take snapshots at every x minutes.

Try the lite version, I sent John the config for a 2100 which is very similar to the 2110 so it may well work for you, weve had a couple of others with the 2110 on here who have got it working fine. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

moxy

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »

Kitz, can you tell me which thead this was, please, "I sent John the config for a 2100", (your last reply), thanks.

moxy

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 05:32:58 PM »

Attached is my latest effort of stats, I wonder if they will mean something tangible, regards, moxy.
( I should have added that from about 10-30 to just before this graph, the plot was stable at about 12 Db, up and down by 1/2 Db)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:39:28 PM by moxy »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 06:44:27 PM »

apart from the events where you loose sync your stats look ok, it's alright to get 2-3db variation over time. I think the strange snr numbers is when sync is lost so unmeasurable so you'll get a momentary stange number come up, it seems to take a second or more for the sync light to drop after sync has been lost on all modems and routers. When I do an apts test I know sync is lost when the snrm suddemly jumps to 128db, then if I look at the modem a couple of seconds later the sync light goes. You can see this if you unplug the dsl lead from the router/filter definately no connection yet for a moment everything looks ok.

I would say it's most likely a REIN issue you have

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »

Kitz, can you tell me which thead this was, please, "I sent John the config for a 2100", (your last reply), thanks.

Sorry if I didnt make it clear - John is the guy who wrote the excellent routerstats. Routerstats was originally written for the Netgear DG834G, but it can and does work on many other routers with a lil bit of work setting it up. 
Routerstats Lite is a quick configuration and plug+play version of full routerstats, but relies on users with other routers doing a "config file" so that it installs without too much hassle on those particular routers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »

Thanks for providing that graph, just had a look at it..  thats quite telling and quite spikey. 
The big dips arent good and I'm in agreement with what Ezzer has already said.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm
-----

moxy

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 12:36:07 AM »

Thanks, Ezzer and Kitz, this gets more interestinger and interestinger, or more properly more annoyinger. If it is a REIN fault could it be at the exchange end? We are creatures of habit so nothing has altered in the way timers are programmed, how we use our electricals, where they are situated etc. The lengthy dropouts follow no pattern being at 10-00 hours [Wed], sometime during the night, and from 15-00 hours Thursday until the present time, this will be copied and pasted to the forum when I get service again. I’ve repositioned, rerun/swapped out cables on/to the router, and totally rerouted everything, but at the end of the day, nothing has changed with regard to electrical equipment, usage, position of p.c. routers, printers etc. for the last 18 months at least. For what it’s worth, I’ve attached the latest graphs, and after about 6 hours of very iffy service, I changed the router at 23-15, [red line on graph] regards, again, moxy.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 01:13:46 AM »

I know of only one incidence of REIN from the exchange end, in it's nature it was continous and not isolated to a partcular time, although anythings possible.

Otherwise apart from one other incidence (which disapeared before it could be pin-pointed) always found REIN at or by the end user) Looks very much like REIN to me. Try  MW/AM radio @ 612khz

have a look at this string  ;)

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1550.0

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 10:53:19 AM »

Hi Moxy

Having just had a look at your latest graphs, it does appear that you very likely have a REIN issue :(
Weve had several instances of this on these forums where the culprits have not necessarily been in your own property.  Theres been the TV which Ezzer has pointed out, a faulty music system which was knocking out about 6 houses adsl, an exercise treadmill and recently there was a neighbours PC monitor which had gone on the blink, thats amongst the usual suspects like external lighting (street lamps, PIR lighting).

Those graphs are very useful evidence that there certainly is a problem with electromagnetic noise somewhere.  Is there a time pattern to it? eg are things worse at 8pm then better after midnight.
- Just in case you arent aware,  You can set routerstats up to automatically log for longer time periods and send each days graphs to a file. 
- You can find these settings under Configuration > Log > Enable Log > Start new log each day with this format.
-----

moxy

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »

I'm still working on it Kitz, times are out lined 3 posts back plus it threw wobblies at 1200hours, reconnection 1724 today. cheers moxy
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:19:11 PM by moxy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 12:31:22 AM »

Sorry moxy, was trying to see if you could perhaps tie it up with anything that could be being switched on.

REIN issues can be notoriously difficult to trace sometimes and you have my sympathies at how frustrating this can be.
-----

moxy

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »

[see attach], I'm no expert at anything, but I've been trying to persue the REIN issue, but my line dropouts occur any time, no pattern, doesn't co-incide with street lights/boiler/kettle/ next door's / our life style, nothing. The decreasing noise ratio pattern has happened several times, before my internet drops out, and in my ignorance, would point to a line degradation of some sort. Page 2 of attach, I'm sitting having a cup of tea, only me in the house, nobody next door, and for no reason I get disconnected, I'm going slowly bonkers. [ after disconnection, it can take anything from 2 or 3 mins to an hour before my router reconnects].

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 01:52:11 PM »

Hi moxy

The only thing I can suggest in this particular case is contact your ISP and put yourself at the mercy of BT.  When you contact them make sure that you tell them that you have been monitoring the SNR Margin on your line, which will suddenly take a dip and cause you to loose connection.
Make sure you also say that you have done all the obvious, testing from master socket, checking equipment etc.

Showing those graphs to a BT engineer would hopefully show him that your line is experiencing some sort of REIN.
-----

moxy

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

Thanks, Kitz, after a week of monitoring the router, and ours and next door's habits, I had come to the same conclusion

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 03:01:16 AM »

Good luck.  :)
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3