Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: power cut conundrum  (Read 8612 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: power cut conundrum
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »

UPS have become cheap these days and you don't need a hugely powerful one.

Just remember to count all devices you want to protect when thinking of the required power output, say the computer and monitor.

The ratings of computer PSUs can be a little misleading, as when it says 300 watts or 500 watts etc that is the maximum power the PSU can provide to the system components, and is not the actual consistent output.

Most systems use between 70 and 150 watts depending on the specifications of the machine and if it is idling or under load (a high end gaming PC would use more than that and the less efficient the PSU is the more power it consumes).

I have one of those Maplin power meter things so I know that when playing graphically demading PC games my PC is using around 120 watts + the monitor.

Beware though to go for a decent UPS with a decent warranty. We  bought some Belkin UPS and they all failed within two years. Whilst Belkin offer a lifetime garuantee, it may not cover the battery, and we couldn't be bothered to send them back to Belkin given the cost of postage compared to the £20 each we paid for them.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »

They also act as Surge protection as well.

I`ve got 2 1200VA UPS`s, One which should cover My PC, 40"TV & Sky box & the other for my Main PC.

I`m considering Purchasing a 2000VA UPS for my Fishtank so that the filter will continue running in the event of a power outage.

They will allow you a chance to save & shut down everything safely......& I hope save any damage to things.

There maybe other uses folks can put them to, use your imagination.... A portable DVD player, a small LCD TV, they`ll run these for a little while dependent on the VA rating.

Batteries shouldn`t prove to difficult obtain when then fail, I believe they are Lead acid gel type batteries (at least in the Bigger & Heavier UPS`s) so similar to those in Alarm panels, so they should last for years.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 05:38:24 PM »

There maybe other uses folks can put them to, use your imagination....

Prior to installing one on my domestic lighting circuit, I used to use one on a table lamp in the living room, which lasted for ?? hours. (8 Hrs +, never got around to actually see how long it would last).

The battery should last "Years" and not really worth replacing because of the cost if it's only a cheap UPS to begin with.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »

Been having a look round ebuyer, maplins etc........what a huge choice and such a wide range of price.........will have to take time and read up on some reviews.

Do these things get very hot..........is it safe to have them on the carpet under the desk or should they be "up top" ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »

I've got a 650W Belkin UPS, and it doesn't even get warm with the fairly low load on it. Do be aware though that a UPS won't keep your PC running for very long. The normal arrangement is to install the included software, which will automatically shut down the PC properly if the mains fails for more than a small time.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 12:16:21 AM »

Do these things get very hot..........is it safe to have them on the carpet under the desk or should they be "up top" ?

They can and do get  a "little" warm but should not be any problem.
Both of mine have been on the carpet for about 2 years now.
(one in the lounge for the laptop & one in the study running "loads of stuff")

Yes ok, not much point if I'm not here without the software, but in my case I don't want to pay Belkin £26 for their lead.
Mine did not come with the lead as they were second hand.
I did try making one according to their wiring diagram but blew up the PSU.  :lol:

Pages: 1 [2]