Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interferance from neighbour  (Read 3409 times)

delboy123

• Just arrived
Interferance from neighbour
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »

Everytime my neighbour switched on his crappy home hub, my wireless network goes pear shaped! I've tried changing channels, I even changed my own router, but it makes hardly any difference. I know it's my neighbours home hub thats interfering, because everytime they switch that thing on, our networks grind to a halt,, or goes so slow pages always time out. I can't go next door and say get a descent router, they hate us and we hate them! If they knew there was an issue they'd probaby leave it on all the time!

Apart from using a wired network, Does anyone have any suggestions?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Interferance from neighbour
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »

Try changing to a different encryption scheme? One of the WPA versions would be best.
  Eric

delboy123

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:13:08 PM »

thanks roseway, I'll just try that right now.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:24:10 PM »

The channels overlap so simply changing to another channel might not work.

Basically each channel overlaps the adjacent 2 channels - eg channel 6 overlaps channels 4, 5, 7 and 8; channel 7 would overlap channels 5, 6, 8 and 9; and so on.

So if your neighbours are on channel 10 you'd want to change channel to at least channel 7. Your first choice of channels should be 1, 6 or 11 if possible, with 6 being the first choice and 11 being the last.

Do NOT use channel 13 if you have the option as there's too many routers which are running "US" wireless firmware (US license channels 1-11; Europe licenses channels 1-13) and it causes no end of problems. Channel 13 used to be a good idea but not now.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:36 AM »

Delboy - i dont mean to contradict you but how do you know when your neighbour is turning his homehub on?  i know you say that your network grinds to a halt but are you SURE its his home hub?

generally home hubs are left on all the time because of the telephone feature.  if they are turned off then the hub phones wont ring.
Paul