Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tiscali ADSL2+  (Read 12443 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Tiscali ADSL2+
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:16:41 PM »

Does any of the gurus on here know if there are any plans for Tiscali to go ADSL2+ on their LLU network, as I understand it is all ready for it to be implemented?

Cheers

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Jameseh

Re: Tiscali ADSL2+
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »

I thought they already had...

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »

Its for business only.

Any ideas when Consumers will be getting it?

Are PlusNet going ADSL2+, I might consider joining, I know the Support is really good, based in the UK?
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:35:56 PM »

>> Its for business only.

Where Tiscali Wholesale have their own LLU kit in the exchanges, they use Huawei MSANs which are adsl2+ enabled. 
They just choose not to let their customers have the higher speeds and throttle back using their profile system.
Even their business accounts dont get the full adsl2+ speeds..  but the technology is there.

>> Are PlusNet going ADSL2+

Plusnet at one point used Tiscali Wholesale to supply some of their customers and moved some of them over to Tiscali Wholesale LLU where Plusnet did give their customers the higher upstream etc.
However the whole thing was a bit of a nightmare for plusnet during a dark period which I'm sure Plusnet would rather forget.  It caused a heap load of problems and customer complaints and Plusnet stopped using Tiscali LLU ages ago. 
Back then Plusnet customers were far more of the techy type and would immediately notice if things were not how they should be, and are far less likely the type to be fobbed off.

Kitz remembers sitting in Plusnet Towers many moons ago just before they did saying "surely not using Tiscali.. nooo " and being re-asurred it would be ok
Then once problems started rolling in ..  being one of those nagging them ardently to stop moving customers over until they eventually did.

All Plusnet accounts are now provisioned using BTWholesale DSLAMs/MSANs.  They got their fingers burnt badly during the above period and its made them a bit more cautious about some things.. so although they are looking at doing WBC some point this year,  they are waiting till any problems are ironed out...  and of course it will depend on whether or not your exchange has been upgraded.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:39:24 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 07:11:06 PM »

If your exchange has been upgraded then you can get ADSL2+ from the Entanet resellers.
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »

If your exchange has been upgraded then you can get ADSL2+ from the Entanet resellers.

Yes my exchange is Sky/Easynet enabled. It is worth considering as it is a good price with Sky TV (which I have).
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »

I have just gone to the Tiscali My Account Section to "try" and see what other Upgrade options I have, I got this message:-

As a customer who benefits from free line rental you are on our newest platform technology and as such there is currently no process in place to enable you to smoothly switch to another Tiscali package. However, this will be available from September 2008. We thank you for your patience and hope you will come back to upgrade to your desired package in September.

It seems that it is possible that new services are coming to LLU?
Kind Regards
Jamie

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »

Why are you even considering Tiscali when you have been posting on here for months about problems you are having with them. :no:

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »

Why are you even considering Tiscali when you have been posting on here for months about problems you are having with them. :no:

Curiosity ;D
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »

As I am now staying with Tiscali, I managed to dig out this post from one of the Forums team on DS:-
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=28230962&postcount=10

Seems like we could be seeing faster speeds sometime next year :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 10:35:41 PM »

They are probably going to have to do so to keep up with the other LLU ISPs and now that BT are doing so with 21CN they are going to appear to be lagging behind.

In actual fact they should have no problem switching over to adsl 2+ because the technology works.. and Tiscali have been installing adsl2+ MSANs in "their" exchanges since 2005.

AFAIK they use the Huawei MA5300 in all of the exchanges where they have a presence so its actually pure and simple a case of actually giving the higher speeds to their customer, and no "trialling" as such needs to be done.

ATM the restriction they place is purely at the ISP end.  Take for example how they limit the tiscali consumer upstream to 448kbps thats at the ISP level..  whilst other ISP's who use tiscali wholesale have been able to give their customers the higher upstream since the very early days.  In fact I'm pretty sure that Tiscali wholesale customers via other ISPs were getting the 8Mbps speeds long before Tiscali ISP customers were.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:39:50 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:04:45 AM »

They are probably going to have to do so to keep up with the other LLU ISPs and now that BT are doing so with 21CN they are going to appear to be lagging behind.

In actual fact they should have no problem switching over to adsl 2+ because the technology works.. and Tiscali have been installing adsl2+ MSANs in "their" exchanges since 2005.

AFAIK they use the Huawei MA5300 in all of the exchanges where they have a presence so its actually pure and simple a case of actually giving the higher speeds to their customer, and no "trialling" as such needs to be done.

ATM the restriction they place is purely at the ISP end.  Take for example how they limit the tiscali consumer upstream to 448kbps thats at the ISP level..  whilst other ISP's who use tiscali wholesale have been able to give their customers the higher upstream since the very early days.  In fact I'm pretty sure that Tiscali wholesale customers via other ISPs were getting the 8Mbps speeds long before Tiscali ISP customers were.

Yes, I did a bit of research yesterday and saw that Plusnet were going to get ADSL2+ from Tiscali, and then didn't and pulled out!

We know that their ADSL2+ is there as they have already got it on Business packages, thing is, I hope they have enough bandwidth to cope with the faster speeds, they struggle with 8meg on some BT Products!  :no:

It would be nice to see ADSL2+ with Tiscali, as ever, it will probably be cheaper than everyone else!!
Kind Regards
Jamie

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:03 AM »

I'm sure us Tiscali users will get an email about it sooner or later.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »

I'm sure us Tiscali users will get an email about it sooner or later.

Most likely yep :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »

And for all those people who knock Tiscali, the service is generally excellent, it's just when things go wrong and you have to speak to those numpties at the Indian call centre when you start getting a bit frustrated with them.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."
Pages: [1] 2

anything