Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky scraps broadband download limit  (Read 2895 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Sky scraps broadband download limit
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:37:42 AM »

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/267954.html

Sky scraps broadband download limit
September 17, 2008
Web User

Sky has dropped the download limit for its 16Mbps broadband service in answer to customer demand for "unlimited" broadband.

According to the company, it has removed the Fair Usage Policy from its Sky Broadband Max product because customers said they wanted to download as much as they wished.

In a statement, Sky said: "Customers have told us that they want "unlimited" broadband to be exactly that, so we've acted on their feedback. What this means is that, if you're a Sky Broadband Max customer, you're free to download as much as you want, whenever you want."

Sky Max is only available to customers living within Sky's local loop unbundled (LLU) area.

Michael Phillips of Broadband Choices said: "We welcome the announcement, however there are still Ts and Cs to protect Sky, so there is still a grey area. Users should measure their own typical usage before choosing any ISP's package, rather than choosing based upon 'marketing rhetoric'."

"ISPs like Sky, Bethere and O2 are in a much better position to offer 'unlimited' deals via the ADSL+2 technology, so if you are a heavy downloader these packages will work for you."

Sky has also said it wants to avoid being a broadband provider that caps speeds during peak times. It said it is "making a commitment to customers taking our Base, Mid or Max products that we will not slow down their connection speeds at peak times".

The provider added: "Where data caps do apply, we are clear and up front about them. And even on our other broadband products, the only limitation is a clearly defined data cap. So customers know exactly what they are getting for their money."

Sky Broadband was voted top broadband provider in a survey by comparison site Broadband Choices which asked web users to rate the performance of their ISP. Sky came out on top in six satisfaction categories, which covered topics including download times, value for money and after-sales[/uote]

Who knows, maybe Virgin will do the same now 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sky scraps broadband download limit
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:37:39 AM »

Thanks OF.

Just to clarify.. this only applies to the Max Package. 
It does seem strange that only a couple of months ago they were talking of actually calling in the 250GB FUP on this account and applying it to those customers who used in excess of this figure..  so this is a good about turn for sky users on the max package.

Sky Mid Continues to have a 40GB cap
Sky Base a 2GB cap.

Whilst Sky Connect also has a 40GB cap, but rumour has it that they are now also applying Traffic Management on this account.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Sky scraps broadband download limit
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »

I suppose in a way I have now gotten used to VM's traffic Management, but I hope that sky actually stick to the times they state.

With Virgin Media, I can be throttled for absolutely no reason what so ever.
And have great difficulty even uploading 20GB per month, let alone 40GB.
Although I don't have a limit (unlimited), the traffic management system makes it "awkward" to abuse.