Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

FTTP speed upgrade question

(1/2) > >>

Bowdon:
I'm thinking of upgrading to a 1gig connection from 500Mb. I'm on BT.

My question is, is there anyway on the router to see the speed increase without doing a physical speed test?

I've noticed on FTTP connections the connection speed shows the ethernet connection speed rather than the package speed limit.

Alex Atkin UK:
The router doesn't know or care as the only limiting factor on FTTP is the profile the ISP set.

Technically, everyone on FTTP gets 2.4Gbit down 1.2Gbit up at the ONT, its the profile that restricts your time share of that to what you paid for.

j0hn:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on March 20, 2024, 09:10:38 AM ---My question is, is there anyway on the router to see the speed increase without doing a physical speed test?

--- End quote ---

Nope. No way to implement this. The router doesn't have a clue what package you're on.

dee.jay:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on March 20, 2024, 10:07:25 AM ---The router doesn't know or care as the only limiting factor on FTTP is the profile the ISP set.

Technically, everyone on FTTP gets 2.4Gbit down 1.2Gbit up at the ONT, its the profile that restricts your time share of that to what you paid for.

--- End quote ---

Depends on the technology and ONT they are using mind you - some are XGS-PON, but the principle is indeed the same. It's just a speed profile set on the OLT and there will be no way for a CPE to know how to interrogate this.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: dee.jay on March 20, 2024, 01:31:28 PM ---Depends on the technology and ONT they are using mind you - some are XGS-PON, but the principle is indeed the same. It's just a speed profile set on the OLT and there will be no way for a CPE to know how to interrogate this.

--- End quote ---

Not on BT though. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version