Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How much  (Read 3554 times)

Woppy101

How much
« on: October 02, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »

How much would it cost to upgrade an exchange to FTTC that hold 626 residential premises and
29 non-residential premises.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: How much
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »

Hi Woppy,

Although your question sounds a very reasonable one, you won't get an answer from the incumbent.
Furthermore it's not just the exchange that matters (which BT use for the backhaul, but much more a case of how many lines are connected directly to the exchange without a PCP Green cabinet, how many PCP's there are, and what is the maximum  D side cable length from the PCP to the premises.

In other words I very much doubt that your exchange would be suitable for a FTTC solution and would probably be far better off getting your own community group to implement a https://sites.google.com/site/b4rnftthbroadbandruralnorth/ type solution. In that way your are as future-proofed as you can be, whereas the FTTC solution, were it even remotely viable one, is likely to be the last gasp solution using the old GPO Public Switched Telephone Network twisted pairs.

Kind regards,
Walter

Woppy101

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »

The only reason I ask is our green cabinet is 4km from the exchange and serves around half of the 600 lines(I'm on a army camp).the army would pay the majority of the cost to put FTTC so I'm trying to find out a ballpark price to go to the QM with

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 03:24:42 PM »

Hi again Woppy,

If you'd like to PM me with more details I might possibly be able to suggest a solution. (Depending upon how much fibre the MOD have installed in your area.)

Kind regards,
Walter

Woppy101

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »

Messsage sent

anything