Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Line length from exchange  (Read 26622 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Line length from exchange
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »

Can someone please tell me the latest information to use the BT 17070 number to get your line length. When I dialled it today, the options are different from when I used it a year or so ago.
Thanks,
terry.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Line length from exchange
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:06:28 AM »

I don't think you can get that information now.
  Eric

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:37:39 AM »

That's what I suspected when Listened to the new options  :(
However, I can use the utility on this site  :)
Terry.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »

None of the line checkers available to the public (including Kitz' one) give actual line length, only geographical distances.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »

Within openreach we can only get line lenght either by doing some thing called a RATS test which isn't avalable outside bt or by physicaly measuring it with a mole/hawk.

The 17070  :-X tool is strictly speaking a for use by bt only. (it can get annoying when working on a line and you can't get on the thing because it's too busy) a lot of the options will only work in conjunction with a bt engineers company supplied mobile.

The other thing about line lenght is it's relative to the type of cable which your fed from.

lodge

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »

You can get the line distance information here:

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:47:13 AM »

Like all the other checkers, that one just gives geographical distances, not the actual line length.
  Eric

IDH

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:17:51 PM »

Gives me as being 383.23kms from my exchange which is the middle of the Irish Sea  ??? :no:

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »

Re.
It is as the crow flies so not very helpful.
By using Google maps and "directions" from -to it's possible to simulate various routes - you can drag the route to wherever you like on the map.
Taking the most obvious cable route, that gave me a distance very close to what I recall from dialling 17070, when it was allowed.
To get the distance that is apparently on the BT database (according to BeThere), the route would have to be very, very circuitous. From my current stats and this information, I can only assume the BT database is wrong.
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »

As eric says - thats just "as the crow flies" and is highly unlikely to be any real indication of the true line distance.

This sites checker displays both as the crow flies and road distance.
Since most BT wiring, green cabs, and telegraph poles tend mostly to go along side the road, then that of the 2 is likely to be the nearest.  However, it cant ever take into account that some cabling may take the long way round.

You could also look at the maximum speed checker, which attempts to calculate your line length based on loop loss from your routers attenuation figure.  However this is best guess based on the average UK looploss and doesnt account for the fact that BT may use thicker gauge cable on some lines or that their may be some aluminium on the line etc etc.

Everything is intended to be a guide based on best information available and the true figures can only be obtained by BT as Ezzer says :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Maturecheese

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 01:48:29 PM »

"The other thing about line length is it's relative to the type of cable which your fed from."

Ezzer do you mean it could be  Aluminium or Copper?
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:40:59 AM »

Like for like, Aluminium will be about 50% more resistive than the same diameter of copper conductor, and will attenuate the signal more.

Increasing the diameter of cable of either material should result in less attenuation, as will using a solid core rather than strands.

Kiro

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »

Also don't forget BT's dirty little secret, lead in the lines ;) Anyway, as previous posters have said the only way to get a reasonable accurate line length is from a RAT test. Also your ISP may be lucky and have a copper line test on BTWS.com. Incidentally BTWS' new KBD tool will perform a copper line test as part of its diagnostics. That said they're basing the line length on resistance. Different cable types will affect it, as will a stretched wire or a dodgy joint.

tallp

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »

A quick question on this subject:  :o

The physical lines carry signal up and down as in a network cable style or port [house] by port in a token ring fashion.

I have just have an ISP tell me that even though I am 600m as the crow flies and 850m via road from the closest exchange that my line length is; wait for it, 5780m away from the exchange.

For that to be the case, they will have to travel all the way into the city and then back out again and still have distance to spare!

I am stuck between BT and the ISP. ARGH>>>

btw, thanks for the fab info and link on the forum already. checked them all out but am still stuck, hence the question.

Look forward to a speedy reply to get this sorted before I lose cable internet!

cheers

Paul

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »

It's not unknown for the line to take a very roundabout route, so what the ISP has told you isn't impossible. But it's only a figure in a database, and even if it's wrong it doesn't affect actual performance. I think that the only way to be (fairly) certain is to subscribe to a BT-based ADSL service and get the connection stats from the router.

If I understand you correctly, you're currently with a cable provider and you want to change to a BT-based service. Depending on the ISP you *may* be able to get the line length checked some other way, but you would probably need to go with one of the more expensive, more professional ISPs such as Zen.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3