Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New FTTP install - internal details  (Read 827 times)

Woolwich

• Not in SE18
New FTTP install - internal details
« on: February 17, 2024, 02:59:15 PM »

If (!) I order FTTP I'd like the fibre to be poked through my existing POTS conduit to save drilling. You can be assured I have mains power within reach for the ONT and the fibre will be fed by underground duct.

So, will Openreach be happy to oblige and reuse the existing hole, possibly removing the copper?

If so this would mean the fibre entering the house where the existing Master Socket is fitted. It sits flush in a cavity wall box. I'm imagining removing the Master Socket and replacing that with a blanking plate - this sort of thing https://www.toolstation.com/bg-low-profile-blank-plate/p55592 - with a hole drilled for the fibre to pass through.

Pictures I've seen show a small round 'thing' covering the fibre entry point - best snap I can find is here https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/vodafone-fault-help-me-understand-my-new-router-please/ . I'm assuming if required that can be fitted over my blanking plate and the whole job is nice and neat. Which is the point of the exercise!

What are my chances!

Only wee problem I can see is I'm down for a two stage install because "Residential UG congested duct". So the install process is KCI2 Assure. Do the first mob just rod and rope my duct or do they also fit the CSP? In which case I may have no say in what goes where?

Supplementary question for bonus points: how does the ONT fit to the wall?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: New FTTP install - internal details
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 03:28:33 PM »

Supplementary question for bonus points: how does the ONT fit to the wall?

Sorry but this is the only bit I can answer, mine is screwed to the wall and juts out about 20-25mm.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Woolwich

• Not in SE18
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 03:32:49 PM »

Sorry but this is the only bit I can answer, mine is screwed to the wall and juts out about 20-25mm.
Don't be sorry, it's a helpful answer. Thanks.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 03:38:15 PM »

Last question first:
The ONT, now exclusively Nokia I believe since Huawei fell from favour, is usually just hung on the wall with 2 screws adjacent to the fibre entry point, not a great arrangement really as is just slotted down on the screws and very easily displaced by any upward movement.
On my FTTP install 2 years ago I opted to do as much pre-install preparation as possible, details (at great length) here which you may fine useful:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26792.msg451455.html#msg451455

Regarding the actual fibre install in my case done by OR sub-contractors.
They were absolutely delighted with the preparation work I had done, meant that they could finish early that day ;D
May be different with an OR direct employee, very much depends who you get on the day.

Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 07:00:46 PM »

The ONT, now exclusively Nokia I believe since Huawei fell from favour, is usually just hung on the wall with 2 screws adjacent to the fibre entry point, not a great arrangement really as is just slotted down on the screws and very easily displaced by any upward movement.

That depends if they do it right.  In may case Kelly were lazy and put the screws in the plaster so its very loose, if they had used proper wall plugs you can tweak the tightness until its a snug fit so less easy to knock loose.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

1kmFTTC

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 01:59:10 PM »

Not exclusively Nokia. In an Adtran area (like mine) you'll get an Adtran ONT. It's similar in dimensions to the Nokia GPON ONT and is mounted with two screws also. in Huawei OLT areas I understand you'll get a Nokia ONT.

Regarding the actual fibre install in my case done by OR sub-contractors.
They were absolutely delighted with the preparation work I had done, meant that they could finish early that day ;D

I had a hole pre-drilled with a draw wire already in place. The installer passed me the 10m inside-out fibre which I attached to the draw wire and he went to pull from the outside, and then spliced. He was also delighted with my prep work, and enjoyed a few mins extra break in his van before heading off to the next job.

Mine ended up being a two stage install (even though the 2nd stage guy expected it to be a 1 stage also, which probably made the guy even more delighted!). I was the first person on the CBT and also the splitter module/headend port, as the splitter had to be upgraded to install my CBT, so maybe this explains the 2-stage approach. There were no access issues specific to my property, confirmed with the BTw checker. Both stages were OR employees, not subcontracted. I never met the first guy, as we were away for the weekend. It was nice to come back to a CSP installed where I'd asked (when he called me).

HughA

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 09:16:38 AM »

Hi Woolwich
I've just had Zen FTTP installed by Morrisons (OpenReach contractor) and they were happy to remove my old BT Master Socket and feed the fibre through the existing hole, having removed the copper. They removed the external copper wire going to the eaves but left the copper to the pole in place. They did check with me that the copper connection was unused and no longer required.  They did a pretty neat job taking about an hour including running fibre from pole to house.

anything