Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openreach on our Estate  (Read 1344 times)

pxr5

Openreach on our Estate
« on: February 12, 2024, 12:50:08 PM »

I was pulling out of our drive the other day and I spotted an OR guy pulling fibre through ducting. Of course I collared him and he said, yes they were laying fibre. Cool I thought, but on checking the availability checker there is no indication of anything - it just says by Dec 2026. So what gives, when is it likely that we'll get fibre any time soon?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Openreach on our Estate
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 01:09:39 PM »

It may well be a number of months before you can order. There is a lot to this outside of just putting fibre in the ground.

For reference, another full fibre builder dug up my street in October, yet I still cannot order.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 02:09:14 PM »

Months, Weeks or Years even, or depends how much going back to the exchange has been done, and indeed if all the equipment is ready in the exchange yet.

As so many companies are doing this, often its the active exchange equipment which ends up on back-order and holds up the whole thing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 05:21:58 PM »

I was pulling out of our drive the other day and I spotted an OR guy pulling fibre through ducting. Of course I collared him and he said, yes they were laying fibre. Cool I thought, but on checking the availability checker there is no indication of anything - it just says by Dec 2026. So what gives, when is it likely that we'll get fibre any time soon?

If it was indeed Openreach (sooo many folk get confused between us and contractors/sub-contractors), it sounds like you are part of a DL (Direct Labour) Exchange build.

As any business would, as time has gone by and more and more areas become FTTP ready, we have moved the what you might call 'redundant' DL labour from their copper duties, to help build the FTTP infrastructure. It's quite a way yet froma 50-50 split with DL and Contract builds, but it's slowly getting there.

To the better news, if the cables are being pulled in through the ducts, there's a high probability of FTTP becoming available in the coming months. Don't get too hung-up on the checkers saying such-and-such a date, as these change constantly on our internal systems so for this to then reflect immediately on 'other systems' is impossible.

In my many, many years being employed by BT/OR, I have never witnessed the major sea-change we have today, regarding spend on CAPEX and screwing it down to the pennies.
As mooted above, if they are cabling the ducts then there is a high probability that L2C (Lead to cash - customers being able to order the FTTP service) will follow ASAP.

Hardware is mentioned below by Alex and was indeed a 'thing' for a few Exchanges during covid, but this has all but been resolved.
More-so, we have recently spent a large chunk of cash on securing a percentage of the hardware required to build FTTP (Head End electronics etc).

Bit of a long-winded post, but wanted the readership to be aware that there have been massive changes over the last 14 months regarding the FTTP roll-out.

As always, it won't be the answer that suits everyone (it is what it is). 

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 11:15:24 PM »

Hardware is mentioned below by Alex and was indeed a 'thing' for a few Exchanges during covid, but this has all but been resolved.
More-so, we have recently spent a large chunk of cash on securing a percentage of the hardware required to build FTTP (Head End electronics etc).

Good to hear.  I didn't want to assume its all sorted given I wasn't sure if the Brexit mess also played a part and I also wasn't sure how the subcontracting was working given competition with alt-nets who may be using the same ones in some areas.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 11:32:23 PM »

A couple years ago there was a labour shortage of fibre engineers. Now there's way too many.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 10:30:11 AM »

If it was indeed Openreach (sooo many folk get confused between us and contractors/sub-contractors), it sounds like you are part of a DL (Direct Labour) Exchange build.

As any business would, as time has gone by and more and more areas become FTTP ready, we have moved the what you might call 'redundant' DL labour from their copper duties, to help build the FTTP infrastructure. It's quite a way yet froma 50-50 split with DL and Contract builds, but it's slowly getting there.

To the better news, if the cables are being pulled in through the ducts, there's a high probability of FTTP becoming available in the coming months. Don't get too hung-up on the checkers saying such-and-such a date, as these change constantly on our internal systems so for this to then reflect immediately on 'other systems' is impossible.

In my many, many years being employed by BT/OR, I have never witnessed the major sea-change we have today, regarding spend on CAPEX and screwing it down to the pennies.
As mooted above, if they are cabling the ducts then there is a high probability that L2C (Lead to cash - customers being able to order the FTTP service) will follow ASAP.

Bit of a long-winded post, but wanted the readership to be aware that there have been massive changes over the last 14 months regarding the FTTP roll-out.

As always, it won't be the answer that suits everyone (it is what it is).

Is your company happy for you to give away all this info, which essentially is about: are you here as Openreach, representing this company, or an ordinary forum member that happens to work for Openreach?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 11:09:34 AM »

Is your company happy for you to give away all this info, which essentially is about: are you here as Openreach, representing this company, or an ordinary forum member that happens to work for Openreach?

??? There's nothing I'd call commercially sensitive in what Black Sheep has said.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 11:14:53 AM »

??? There's nothing I'd call commercially sensitive in what Black Sheep has said.

No indeed.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 11:46:58 AM »

Edinburgh Lad is just a troll - he's anti Openreach and probably anti-most things in general.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 01:52:42 PM »

As seen in many other of his posts.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 04:19:18 PM »

Edinburgh Lad is just a troll - he's anti Openreach and probably anti-most things in general.

Now you're being oversensitive and melodramatic, and behaving like a black sheep. There's nothing against Openreach in my post.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 05:39:09 PM »

Yawn - do one.

pxr5

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 03:22:47 PM »

I was the OP. Thank you all for the informative replies. The workers were absolutely Openreach, so that's a positive I suppose. Within a year would be fine by me. Anyway I have to have time enjoying G.INP on my ECI :-)

pxr5

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 11:44:14 AM »

I chatted with another 2 guys earlier - this time Morrisons Telecomms - who continued to pull cable through the streets. I did ask when fibre would be available to order but obviously they had no idea. VM is an option here now too, but I'll avoid them like the plague.
Pages: [1] 2