Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

Confused by FTTP installation

(1/4) > >>

JimBlizz:
Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a new build property, but the BT FTTP installation I've seen has confused me a little.

The BT wholesale checker reports that an ONT is installed with no active service, and I see an exterior box on the outside wall, but no ONT or cable entry on the opposite side. Could be hiding somewhere else? I'm not sure if in new builds they possibly may have planned and pre-installed them elsewhere before the final fix? Is that a thing?

The checker says a 1 stage install, which suggests to me that there is not an ONT... otherwise, why would an engineer need to visit?

Has anybody seen this and can shed some light? I've not completed yet and I'm 160 miles from the property, so I can't just pop in to go hunting for an ONT.
I'd like to time my order so that its up as soon as possible after moving in, but not before we have access to the property.

Edit: Cuckoo say: "Don't worry, you won't need to be at the property on this date, as we don't need to send and engineer to set up your connection."

Cheers,
Jim

dee.jay:
If you are the second owner of the house, I will bet you £10 the previous owners have taken the ONT with them. It'll be useless in their new house.

JimBlizz:
Given it's a new build, I'd be shocked if we were second owners!

broadstairs:
I wonder if it has been nicked? The ONT does not need to be inside where the outside box. Mine has a cable running outside and enters my house quite a long way away from the outside box.

Stuart

JimBlizz:
The area is gated and has security cameras etc as its still technically a building site... but you never know I guess. Odd thing to nick mind!

Your other suggestion might be correct. I just assume that the OR guy arrived, had 8 new houses to do and so would just bash a hole through the wall for each and called it done. I'm too cynical to think they thought deeply about placement and put it in a more helpful place I've just not spotted!

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version