Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Confused by FTTP installation  (Read 1321 times)

JimBlizz

• Just arrived
Confused by FTTP installation
« on: February 10, 2024, 04:19:08 PM »

Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a new build property, but the BT FTTP installation I've seen has confused me a little.

The BT wholesale checker reports that an ONT is installed with no active service, and I see an exterior box on the outside wall, but no ONT or cable entry on the opposite side. Could be hiding somewhere else? I'm not sure if in new builds they possibly may have planned and pre-installed them elsewhere before the final fix? Is that a thing?

The checker says a 1 stage install, which suggests to me that there is not an ONT... otherwise, why would an engineer need to visit?

Has anybody seen this and can shed some light? I've not completed yet and I'm 160 miles from the property, so I can't just pop in to go hunting for an ONT.
I'd like to time my order so that its up as soon as possible after moving in, but not before we have access to the property.

Edit: Cuckoo say: "Don't worry, you won't need to be at the property on this date, as we don't need to send and engineer to set up your connection."

Cheers,
Jim
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 04:38:38 PM by JimBlizz »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Confused by FTTP installation
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 05:51:32 PM »

If you are the second owner of the house, I will bet you £10 the previous owners have taken the ONT with them. It'll be useless in their new house.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

JimBlizz

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 06:00:54 PM »

Given it's a new build, I'd be shocked if we were second owners!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 06:25:15 PM »

I wonder if it has been nicked? The ONT does not need to be inside where the outside box. Mine has a cable running outside and enters my house quite a long way away from the outside box.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

JimBlizz

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 06:39:26 PM »

The area is gated and has security cameras etc as its still technically a building site... but you never know I guess. Odd thing to nick mind!

Your other suggestion might be correct. I just assume that the OR guy arrived, had 8 new houses to do and so would just bash a hole through the wall for each and called it done. I'm too cynical to think they thought deeply about placement and put it in a more helpful place I've just not spotted!

;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 06:50:57 PM by JimBlizz »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 07:10:35 PM »

Given it's a new build, I'd be shocked if we were second owners!

Yeah, granted, but new build could mean a year or two - I didn't take that as literally as it meant :D

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 02:57:07 PM »

Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a new build property, but the BT FTTP installation I've seen has confused me a little.

The BT wholesale checker reports that an ONT is installed with no active service, and I see an exterior box on the outside wall, but no ONT or cable entry on the opposite side. Could be hiding somewhere else? I'm not sure if in new builds they possibly may have planned and pre-installed them elsewhere before the final fix? Is that a thing?

The checker says a 1 stage install, which suggests to me that there is not an ONT... otherwise, why would an engineer need to visit?

Has anybody seen this and can shed some light? I've not completed yet and I'm 160 miles from the property, so I can't just pop in to go hunting for an ONT.
I'd like to time my order so that its up as soon as possible after moving in, but not before we have access to the property.

Edit: Cuckoo say: "Don't worry, you won't need to be at the property on this date, as we don't need to send and engineer to set up your connection."

Cheers,
Jim

New Build = Built in!
Have a look in the cupboards. you may have also got a cat6 network.
OR will do the link to the property and then test to confirm everything is okay, but the builder may be responsible for the network in the house.
Enjoy!
Dwight.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 05:39:07 PM »

New Build = Built in!
Have a look in the cupboards. you may have also got a cat6 network.
OR will do the link to the property and then test to confirm everything is okay, but the builder may be responsible for the network in the house.
Indeed yes, my grandson and his partner got a new build 1 BR housing association flat last year, it had an OR ONT situated in hall cupboard, had 4 LAN terminal boxes adjacent, 1 running to hall way, 1 to bed room and 2 to lounge @ TV point, this was presumably to allow an ONT WAN run and a LAN run back for distribution if the router needed to be situated in the lounge for Wi-Fi coverage, very considerate I thought.
In his case, the router Wi-Fi coverage was fine with the router in the hall cupboard so allowing very easy LAN distribution via ethernet jumpers from the router ports and avoiding the need for an additional LAN switch.

The area also had cable coverage and this was fully piped to the flat ready to go, spoiled for choice.
It's good to see developers/builders being so pro-active.
The only disappointment with the venture was that BT, his chosen FTTP provider, took 3 weeks via OR to active the BB service with no requirement to visit the premises :( 
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

JimBlizz

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 09:14:32 AM »

Well, as it turned out - we had to pull out of the purchase. The bank wouldn't lend on the property due to the housing mix in the area.
So I come to you with a new question, about a new property we've had an offer accepted on! ;D

Our new property has active FTTP service with the only ONT port in use as far as I can determine. I spied a BT Home Hub during viewings.
Can anybody advise the most time-efficient way to get up and running on the assumption that the current owner cancels their contract with BT as they move out?

Would we be waiting a couple of weeks for the current service to be ceased before we could order our own?

Cheers,
Jim

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 10:39:36 AM »

With the right ISP and provided the PON light is solid green, they can activate FTTP remotely 24-48 hours after ordering.

They should be able to advise during the ordering process.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

JimBlizz

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 11:06:40 AM »

Thanks!

Any good tips on ISP in that respect? I'm sure AA would be a good choice, but very expensive, so considering somebody like IDNet or Zen

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 11:47:04 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php

I'd look at the top 10 on the top right of this page, but check the number of reviews,

IDnet/AA/uno have a larger number of better reviews which would be more attractive for me if you aren't going for AAISP.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 12:09:30 PM »

I got a good deal with Vodafone for full fibre, might be worth a look to see if they have any offers at present. So far been reliable for me and cheaper than BT was with full fibre. I also have digital voice with them.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

JimBlizz

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 12:14:27 PM »

Thanks guys.

I've not ruled AA out totally, I see the value as I'm tech-adjacent in my line of work (software/devops).

Currently moving from 1gig symmetrical via Hyperoptic, very sad to lose my upload bandwidth  :-\

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 01:06:58 PM »

Thanks guys.

I've not ruled AA out totally, I see the value as I'm tech-adjacent in my line of work (software/devops).

Currently moving from 1gig symmetrical via Hyperoptic, very sad to lose my upload bandwidth  :-\

Openreach will never, ever do symmetrical, eats into their leased line products.
Pages: [1] 2

anything