Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What master socket for a new SOGEA/FTTC line?  (Read 2076 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
What master socket for a new SOGEA/FTTC line?
« on: February 07, 2024, 11:47:20 AM »

Not sure if this is in the correct section, but it seemed as good as any and I couldn't find the answer in any recent-ish threads.....
(If it's there, sorry I missed it!)

I'm about to order a new (additional) line which will be SOGEA and FTTC as we have no FTTP in our area.
For cosmetic/mounting reasons I'd prefer to know what sort of master socket will be installed.
An NTE5C with a bulky faceplate with DSL and POTS sockets is obviously overkill; is there a simpler/smaller version they will use?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: What master socket for a new SOGEA/FTTC line?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 12:39:27 PM »

Rummaging through Openreach SIN517 Issue 4 (Nov 2023) I found this extraordinary image which suggests actually using a plug-in ADSL filter as an adapter!
I might as well replace their socket with a smaller old-school LJ2/1A master. Surely there must be a more elegant solution?  ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 01:50:40 PM by HPsauce »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 06:10:35 PM »

Using an ADSL type dongle will work just fine but if the new line is VDSL only and no voice then all you'll need is standard phone socket and a suitable lead with BT plug (431/631A) on one end and RJ11 on the other. No filters of any sort are needed.
Something like this for the lead perhaps:
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 07:04:22 PM »

Time to fish out all those old dialup modem cables?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 07:54:44 PM »

Yes Alex, I already found one that has the correct connections between the BT plug and RJ11, but it's quite long!
And thanks Tubaman I've found that eBay item but the shortest is 2 metres, similar to the cable I already found.

I do have one inelegant option as I have an ADSL filter (several actually) where the BT lead isn't captive, but plugs into the filter with an RJ11 plug. So I can just replace the filter with an RJ11 female-female connector. Smaller and less obtrusive than a filter.
But really Openreach should just supply an RJ11 faceplate.   :-X

Amazing what you find hidden away - that's a genuine BT master socket LJ2/1A.  :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 08:37:13 PM by HPsauce »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 10:28:07 PM »

Yes Alex, I already found one that has the correct connections between the BT plug and RJ11, but it's quite long!
And thanks Tubaman I've found that eBay item but the shortest is 2 metres, similar to the cable I already found.

I do have one inelegant option as I have an ADSL filter (several actually) where the BT lead isn't captive, but plugs into the filter with an RJ11 plug. So I can just replace the filter with an RJ11 female-female connector. Smaller and less obtrusive than a filter.
But really Openreach should just supply an RJ11 faceplate.   :-X

Amazing what you find hidden away - that's a genuine BT master socket LJ2/1A.  :P

Yeah its kinda nuts, given RJ11 face plates are dirt cheap as its the standard in other countries like the US.
There are also https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-Plug-Socket-Adapter/dp/B001QWU4Q6 which is what SEGA actually provided in the UK with the Dreamcast, rather than replacing the whole cable for the UK market.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 11:02:31 PM »

The problem with those adapters is that they probably don't connect up properly. Most likely they are "straight through".
What is needed is a connection between 2 and 5 in the BT plug to the centre two contacts in the RJ11 socket.
Given that an RJ11 plug is fundamentally a 6-pin design with typically only the centre 4 used the connection arrangement needs to be documented and correct.

Edit: Actually just tested a couple of old ones I have kicking around and they do seem to be correct!
Not that I want an adapter sticking out of the socket.  :no:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 11:08:20 PM by HPsauce »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 05:52:28 PM »

Line ordered, engineer scheduled for 21st February, lets see what he brings! I think I've got all options covered.......  :graduate:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 06:40:07 AM »

The Openreach SSFP's are actually RJ45 not RJ11.
So if I'm going with a thick faceplate I go RJ45(master socket end) to RJ11 (modem end) for the patch cable.

Though last time I used my master socket I just chopped the end off the patch cable and punched the pair down on to the IDC's.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 11:00:27 AM »

Yes, even the i-Plate has an RJ45 socket; the one I have kicking around even has all 8 contacts inside.
But of course an RJ11 plug just fits centrally if you let the fixing lug do its job.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 02:48:55 PM »

Interestingly Openreach have been in touch today to confirm that I REALLY DO want a second line.  :graduate:
Engineer visit consequently confirmed for next Wednesday.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 04:18:36 PM »

This afternoon I saw an Openreach van parked about 25 metres down the road and an engineer delving into an underground chamber for what seemed like at least an hour. I think it's next along (towards the exchange) from the one feeding the pole opposite our house.

It's another 450 metres (at least) down the road to the FTTC cabinet that I expect to be fed from, so could he be doing preparatory work, e.g. finding a spare pair for my new line? Or will the engineer due next Wednesday do all that on the day?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 08:02:26 PM »

Well I got a rather bulky NTE5C on a 25mm back box with dual socket faceplate.  :-[ That will change before long to something much tidier.  :graduate:
The engineer had to do everything (the recent visit nearby was a red herring) so was working up and down between me and the cabinet 500 metres away in rather miserable wet and windy weather. He also had to call in a cherry-picker to work on the pole over the road.

So does the community here have any suggestions for a tidy installation, hopefully "acceptable" to BTOR as well and not affecting performance?  :angel:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 08:24:20 PM by HPsauce »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 09:08:50 PM »

I think you're SOL with the 5C, as the neater solution would need to revert back to the older socket.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 10:37:28 PM »

Presumably if I put "standard" (phone only, unfiltered) faceplate on I could wire an RJ11 lead into the extension sockets on the NTE5C backplate, feeding through the outlet in the bottom edge? Or just use a short BT-RJ11 lead, the router is inches away below on a shelf.
Mounting the backplate on a recessed wall box would make it tidier still; I should be able to do that, I think it only needs an 16mm one?
Pages: [1] 2

anything