Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Can't find a plausible reason to upgrade my network to 2.5 Gb :P  (Read 2183 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

I got all excited because my new router supports 2.5 Gb, but then the boring rational side told me :

- Even wifi 6 (which I don't have) can barely exceed Gb network
- My internet is unlikely to ever exceed 1Gb
- Even the *cheap* 2.5 Gb switches are 5 times the cost of Gb stuff
- None of the devices on my network apart from possibly my wifes iPhone could even benefit from it and a bunch of them are still 2.4 Ghz wifi

Posting this so I can laugh at my ignorance in the future

Have you guys found a good reason to spend squllions on super duper LAN speeds?

;D

C

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Can't find a plausible reason to upgrade my network to 2.5 Gb :P
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 11:12:14 AM »

No  ::) I recently went looking to save money on my ISP connection. Ended up with 500mbps even though I was on 150Mbps which I never exceeded. Only reason I went for it was that it was the same price as 150Mbps in a Black Friday offer and much cheaper than existing contract ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 11:36:55 AM »

I can't even find a plausible reason to upgrade from copper ADSL!
Mine runs stably at about 20mbps now almost everyone else has moved to FTTC and reduced crosstalk.
No plans whatsoever in our area to install FTTP; I bet BT are regretting a lot of the money spent on streetside FTTC equipment and wish they'd waited for FTTP to be cost-effective.

Something is bound to happen as part of the plans to get rid of POTS landlines, but I'm waiting to see on that one!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:02:53 PM by HPsauce »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 12:33:48 PM »

:D

I live in the boonies but am lucky enough to get 60-70 mbps on FTTC as I live close to a recently installed cabinet and tbh its absolutely fine, I just like the idea of having FTTP although in reality I will probably hardly ever notice the difference

C

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 12:34:53 PM »

There's more than a high probability you won't have ADSL, by the end of 2025.

Is FTTC available now in your area, HP ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 12:40:21 PM »

:D

I live in the boonies but am lucky enough to get 60-70 mbps on FTTC as I live close to a recently installed cabinet and tbh its absolutely fine, I just like the idea of having FTTP although in reality I will probably hardly ever notice the difference

C

That's a fair point as I've recently gone from FTTC 55Mbs to FTTP 900Mbps and there's not that much noticeable difference ... slightly quicker to view when watching a movie/box-set and with both myself and my wife working from home, the extra bandwidth has made a slight difference there too ... but that's it.

It was only the fantastic deal that was on offer that made me jump ship and I suppose, also future proofing my connection.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 01:02:06 PM »

Is FTTC available now in your area, HP ?
Yes, I think that's clearly implied here:
Mine runs stably at about 20mbps now almost everyone else has moved to FTTC and reduced crosstalk.
Though my FTTC cabinet is almost as far from my house as the exchange so doesn't offer a major improvement except on uploads which I don't need.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 01:20:53 PM »

I paid £69 for an 8 port 2.5gb switch, I already had cat6 in the house. You fibre offered me 2gb/2gb fttp connection  at £49 pcm so couldn't resist it. My WiFi access point came with a 2.5gb lan connection so one thing lead to another  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:25:17 PM by skyeci »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 01:32:20 PM »

I upgraded some of my network to 10Gbe, second hand switch and second hand cards when they came up cheap. I do occasionally move large files around so the extra bandwidth is useful.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 02:51:47 PM »

Yes, I think that's clearly implied here:Though my FTTC cabinet is almost as far from my house as the exchange so doesn't offer a major improvement except on uploads which I don't need.

Ah - god knows how I missed that ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 12:06:58 AM »

I've recently gone from FTTC 55Mbs to FTTP 900Mbps and there's not that much noticeable difference
It was only the fantastic deal that was on offer that made me jump ship and I suppose, also future proofing my connection.

Although FTTP is available, I didnt upgrade due to having a tunsten falls alarm.  There are now alternatives, but at silly money so I stuck with copper.  The benefit of FTTP being is here is that my neighbour has upgraded and I lost the big chunk of x-talk meaning a stable 80Mbps - stats is showing max rate of 96369 kbps.  Theres only me and streaming is fine so I see no need to fork out for something which wont really make much difference other than financial.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 01:01:58 AM »

- Even wifi 6 (which I don't have) can barely exceed Gb network

Define "barely", as I'd consider 1.6Gbit quite a notable improvement.  Though granted, I have few devices that have ever hit this in practice, outside of speed tests.

Personally I upgraded as I have a NAS and I copy video files around a fair bit so being able to do so at 280MB/s is nice.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 07:51:02 AM »

40 odd Mbps FTTC is the best I can get here, with no current plans for FTTP as far as I can tell. It actually does pretty much everything my family needs, with the only occasional issue being the lack of upload that would speed up some of my work tasks. Luckily we're not gamers and none of us see the need to stream in anything above HD as that would certainly be an issue with the connection we have.
I'd like FTTP for a bit of extra speed and for its reliability but manage just fine on what we have.  :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 07:53:23 AM »

I have never been able to justify it, 2.5gbit has the same problems as bluray, it never went down to mainstream pricing of previous tech.  Although maybe we will someday see £10 2.5gbit cards and sub £15 switches.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 08:53:20 AM »

I have never been able to justify it, 2.5gbit has the same problems as bluray, it never went down to mainstream pricing of previous tech.  Although maybe we will someday see £10 2.5gbit cards and sub £15 switches.

But how long did it take Gigabit to get there?  I seem to recall it was quite a while.

When I first bought Gigabit switches they were £100+ for 8 ports, 2.5Gbit is now also at this price which consideration inflation is pretty crazy.

As for NICs, 2.5Gbit is getting fairly common on PCs and its already close to £10, although I wouldn't buy an i225 unless it specifically said it was the B3 revision without the performance bugs.

I mean of course Gigabit is going to remain cheaper, its been manufactured for so long even if they stopped making any chips the supply is going to be so huge they probably wouldn't run out of stock for a decade.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 09:01:43 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2 3