Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Are the RJ45 sockets on a fritzbox 7530 all bridged?

(1/2) > >>

graemev:
I'm just commissioning a new fritzbox 7530 (on Zen) TO replace my Vigor (on PlusNet nee Force9).

I need to have a static route from my network (10....) to the fritzbox box (original 192.168.178.1 I moved to 192.168.1.254) this added fine but the change of the fritzbox IP address was in just one place (suggesting it was the WiFi IP)  however I have a laptop connected to one of the RJ45 (Ethernet) ports an NOT to Wifi  and

1: It got granted an IP via DHCP from the fritzbox
2: I can ping (via the cable) 192.168.1.254   (and indeed view the FritzBox internal webserver)

So it feels like the WiFi and ALL the RJ45 are simply bridged in a single IP address. Can this be true?

One thing I did with my vigor was to configure one of the RJ45 sockets to be on a totally different network ... traffic from here could go out in the WAN (an indeed over an external VPN) but did not even share cables with the main household network.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: I expected the fritzbox to have 5 IP address, one for WiFi and one each for the RJ45 ports

licquorice:
Any address you give the fritzbox will just be the management page webserver. Ports and WiFi won't have IP addresses.

graemev:
Looking at the page in the 7390 Manual I can see it has the option to set different IP for each interface. I don't see the same entry in the 7530 Manual. So my guess would be they are just bridged (or maybe even a simple Hub)

See attached

broadstairs:
I think what you show is the ability for each  lan socket to have its own set of ip addresses and dhcp server thus allowing separate sets of addresses to be allocated to any devices attached to that cable socket. This is not normally used on home lans. It is customary to have all sockets on the same lan subnet on a home lan so all devices see each other.

Stuart

graemev:
Indeed.

Yep that's what I do with my current Vigor: (see screenshot)

The main household is on 192.168.1.0/24 network  ... but one port (LAN6) goes to 192.168.6.0/24  ... this has a separate cable and so cannot see/be seen by any of the household devices.

(it allowed me to expose a "device" to the outside world with no risk to the household ...even if the device were compromised, it could not be used to attack anything else in the house).

So I was expecting a menu rather like the one in 7390 manual  ...I'm guessing they have simplified the user interface over the years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version