Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Packet loss when connecting modem to switch  (Read 472 times)

LLG

• Just arrived
Packet loss when connecting modem to switch
« on: January 15, 2024, 07:01:09 PM »

Hey all

I have a curious problem with packet loss when connecting my modem to either my router or a switch.

I have a Draytek Vigor 167 modem (192.168.1.1), which is used as a bridge modem, then, I have an Asus ZenWiFi AX (XT8) (192.168.1.10) router.

Port 1 on the Draytek modem goes into a port on the Asus Router so that the Asus router can use PPPoE in order to authenticate the connection.

I also have an unmanaged TP-link switch which is connected to the router and into that various other devices (PiHole and server, etc).

Obviously, the router is the gateway on 192.168.1.10. So far, so good.

However, with this setup I cannot access the modem web UI on the IP address. To access this I need to plug into the remaining port on the modem (port 2) into the switch, or another port on the router, then the web UI loads and I can access.

But, in doing so, there is some sort of feedback that causes packet loss, which I test using https://packetlosstest.com/

I can confirm it is the mere fact of plugging into the switch, because if I remove it, packet loss is 0%, with it connected, it varies between 5% and 30%! It was very noticeable and something I picked up using Teams/Slack for work, where people said I sounded garbled and they did to me as well.

I've also tried connecting into the router, rather than the switch, but the same problem remains.

I'm not a networking n00b but nor am I an expert. Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong?