Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FTTP and using own equipment?  (Read 3304 times)

cosrush

Re: FTTP and using own equipment?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 03:53:46 PM »

Just to add, do I need to be asking my new ISP for the PPPoE Username and Password for the service? (this is what is in my router that I connect to my old ISP) or if not, what do I need to ensure I have to be able to setup the connection from my router to their new Adtran ONT?

**EDIT**
From reading online it would appear I have to connect via IPTV and set Vlan to none. Does that sound right?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 04:24:42 PM by cosrush »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 04:21:14 PM »

Just to add, do I need to be asking my new ISP for the PPPoE Username and Password for the service? (this is what is in my router that I connect to my old ISP) or if not, what do I need to ensure I have to be able to setup the connection from my router to their new Adtran ONT?

That entirely depends on how they are authenticating on their network.  It may be plain DHCP.

Their FAQ is rather vague and in fact the bit about business bridging service makes it all the more confusing.

With a Trooli home broadband service we strongly recommend that you use the equipment provided by Trooli to connect to our network.

It is possible for you to use your own equipment, but doing so would mean that we’re unable to provide you with our standard level of customer support.  With our Trooli router, we’re able to provide technical support and can identify any issues with home home Wi-Fi network.  If you use your own equipment, then our visibility will stop at the full fibre cable entering your home.

Please note, every new home broadband customer will be supplied with a Trooli router as standard.

If you have a Trooli business service and you have also taken our Bridging Service option, you may use third party routing equipment. Non-Trooli equipment connected to the network is not supported by Trooli and we can’t assist with any technical issues that you experience with third party equipment.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 04:24:39 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cosrush

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2024, 04:26:01 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know what kind of router connection I should be looking for in the router settings? IPTV?

cosrush

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2024, 04:27:49 PM »

I understand they cannot offr any technical help with my setup after their supplied ONT modem so I am hoping with the help of the internet I'll be able to get it working.  :fingers:

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2024, 08:01:21 PM »

Did you mishear IPoE perhaps?

IPoE is just plain old DHCP so you won't need any login details like you would with PPPoE.

Try it is best.

IPTV is totally unrelated/irrelevant.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

cosrush

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 07:13:15 AM »

Did you mishear IPoE perhaps?

IPoE is just plain old DHCP so you won't need any login details like you would with PPPoE.

Try it is best.

IPTV is totally unrelated/irrelevant.

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, I have had my new line installed yesterday and the engineer connected the 621 ONT. I am awaiting delivery of the Technicolor 4315 today although my understanding is this is a modem router so I'm not sure at this time whether I'm supposed to disconnect the 621 and plug the 4315 in its place?!? Any thoughts?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2024, 08:52:50 AM »

No, you need the 621 to do the conversion of light to ethernet, that has to remain no matter what equipment you use. The router then connects to the 621.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2024, 09:35:40 AM »

I assume there's an error in your latest post re the router model.
The router expected to be installed was a DGA4134 but in the last post you mention 4315 twice?

The Technicolor is a VDSL modem and router combined but you don't have VDSL any more do the modern function cannot be used. It will run as a simple router.

The 621 is an ONT (basically a modem for FTTP). ONTs and VDSL modems aren't interchangeable.

Some networks are setup to accept a PPPoE connection with any username and password.
That means your average BT Hub can just be plugged in and it will work.

Most non Openreach networks in the UK don't use PPP at all. It's terribly inefficient for faster FTTP speeds.
They usually use DHCP (IPoE) which doesn't require any username or password. I'd be very surprised if you had to call Trooli for a username and password to use your own kit.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

cosrush

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 10:25:23 AM »

No, you need the 621 to do the conversion of light to ethernet, that has to remain no matter what equipment you use. The router then connects to the 621.

Thank you for the reply  :)

cosrush

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2024, 10:31:27 AM »

I assume there's an error in your latest post re the router model.
The router expected to be installed was a DGA4134 but in the last post you mention 4315 twice?

The Technicolor is a VDSL modem and router combined but you don't have VDSL any more do the modern function cannot be used. It will run as a simple router.

The 621 is an ONT (basically a modem for FTTP). ONTs and VDSL modems aren't interchangeable.

Some networks are setup to accept a PPPoE connection with any username and password.
That means your average BT Hub can just be plugged in and it will work.

Most non Openreach networks in the UK don't use PPP at all. It's terribly inefficient for faster FTTP speeds.
They usually use DHCP (IPoE) which doesn't require any username or password. I'd be very surprised if you had to call Trooli for a username and password to use your own kit.

Apologies yes a typo  :-[
The router I am receiving should be a 4315 but I believe this to be similar to the 4314.

Thank you for the info!  :)
This 'FTTP technical speak' is largely new to me however I am trying to get to grips with it, I thank you all for your patience!  :-[

So from your response I believe if the 621 ONT is using IPoE then any router you connect should work (depending on specific hardware I presume?). As my current router (which is what I plan to reuse in place of the ISPs supplied one arriving today) has a log in for VDSL I presume I will still need to go into the router settings to change the connection type?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2024, 11:15:04 AM »

The 621 does nothing other than convert the incoming fibre signal for presentation to the customer as an ethernet cable. The authentication is not done by that device, but whatever is connected to it. It is the router that gets a DHCP address over IPoE.

You will need to look at what connection details/options you have available. I'd personally just plug in the ISP one and have a look at the configuration pages for that, that'll help you get the right details for the replacement router.

cosrush

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2024, 05:31:11 PM »

The 621 does nothing other than convert the incoming fibre signal for presentation to the customer as an ethernet cable. The authentication is not done by that device, but whatever is connected to it. It is the router that gets a DHCP address over IPoE.

You will need to look at what connection details/options you have available. I'd personally just plug in the ISP one and have a look at the configuration pages for that, that'll help you get the right details for the replacement router.

Thanks for the reply.

So I obtained the PPPoE login information from the ISP (this is what they provided me). I tried the ISP supplied router and a speed test showed just over 900Mbps DL and just over 300Mbps UL.
I swapped to my TP Link router and tested (using the PPPoE provided info) and only get 500Mbps DL and 200Mbps UL.

I'm guessing my router is no good then. I did let it run and auto configure itself.

Any thoughts?

**EDIT***
Just to add, on the ISP supplied router it is connected via PPPoE.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 06:18:25 PM by cosrush »

cosrush

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 08:48:39 PM »

Going to test it again tomorrow as I have found some info online from other users with a similar router who found turning off QOS fixed their issues. They were stating their speeds were being capped at around 500Mbps until they found turning off the QOS restored their speed back to the full 1Gbps.

Hopefully this will fix the issue :fingers:

cosrush

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 07:53:54 AM »

Thanks again to ALL who responded to this post with help.  :thumbs:

I have now resolved this issue, as detailed on some TP Link forums turning off QOS has resolved the issue.

:)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2024, 08:46:49 AM »

Nicely done. Enjoy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3