Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

FTTP and using own equipment?

(1/7) > >>

cosrush:
I am looking at leaving my current ISP (Plusnet 60/10) to switch to a new provider (Trooli) with a 900Mb speed. They provide a DGA 4134 modem/router but I'd really like to maintain my current Modem if possible but I don't know if that's possible so hopefully somebody on hear can advise.
I currently have a Zyxel VMG8324-B10A and having bought it after info on this site years ago have been nothing short of amazed at the connection. It hasn't dropped the connection once in years! and always maintained maximum speed for connection. So here's another thanks for the great info on this site! :)

So is a modem/router that is needed for an 'upto' 1Gb connection speed a 'special' type of unit? Would my existing my VMG8324 work or not?

The new ISP recommends I don't use my own equipment as they can't then provide technical support. This doesn't concern me though. I asked the question about using the supplied DGA 4134 in bridge mode and was told I could.

Having had such a good connection though with the VMG 8324 I'd really like to use it if possible.

Hope somebody can help.

redamo:
How do you plan on using the Zyxel? Surely, it can't act as a FTTP modem, you'll be given a new ONT by your new provider.

cosrush:

--- Quote from: redamo on December 08, 2023, 06:12:49 PM ---How do you plan on using the Zyxel? Surely, it can't act as a FTTP modem, you'll be given a new ONT by your new provider.

--- End quote ---

That's my question. Can I use my Zyxel for FTTP? I currently use if for my regular Fibre connection but that is only fibre to the green box then copper to the property.

redamo:
Not as a modem. Basically, FTTP means that you'll get fibre straight to your home which will terminate using a ONT modem. You can use the Zyxel only as a router (or AP) if you like.

cosrush:

--- Quote from: redamo on December 08, 2023, 06:23:06 PM ---Not as a modem. Basically, FTTP means that you'll get fibre straight to your home which will terminate using a ONT modem. You can use the Zyxel only as a router (or AP) if you like.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reply. Trooli provide the DGA 4134 modem/router themselves for connection to the new fibre cabling not a ONT modem. This is why I wondered if I could still use my own Zyxel modem.
Is a modem/router for 1Gb speeds different to that used for lesser connections like my current 60Mb? I currently use my Zyxel in bridge mode to my router.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version