Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FTTP and using own equipment?  (Read 3305 times)

cosrush

FTTP and using own equipment?
« on: December 08, 2023, 05:48:35 PM »

I am looking at leaving my current ISP (Plusnet 60/10) to switch to a new provider (Trooli) with a 900Mb speed. They provide a DGA 4134 modem/router but I'd really like to maintain my current Modem if possible but I don't know if that's possible so hopefully somebody on hear can advise.
I currently have a Zyxel VMG8324-B10A and having bought it after info on this site years ago have been nothing short of amazed at the connection. It hasn't dropped the connection once in years! and always maintained maximum speed for connection. So here's another thanks for the great info on this site! :)

So is a modem/router that is needed for an 'upto' 1Gb connection speed a 'special' type of unit? Would my existing my VMG8324 work or not?

The new ISP recommends I don't use my own equipment as they can't then provide technical support. This doesn't concern me though. I asked the question about using the supplied DGA 4134 in bridge mode and was told I could.

Having had such a good connection though with the VMG 8324 I'd really like to use it if possible.

Hope somebody can help.

redamo

Re: FTTP and using own equipment?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 06:12:49 PM »

How do you plan on using the Zyxel? Surely, it can't act as a FTTP modem, you'll be given a new ONT by your new provider.

cosrush

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 06:16:54 PM »

How do you plan on using the Zyxel? Surely, it can't act as a FTTP modem, you'll be given a new ONT by your new provider.

That's my question. Can I use my Zyxel for FTTP? I currently use if for my regular Fibre connection but that is only fibre to the green box then copper to the property.

redamo

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 06:23:06 PM »

Not as a modem. Basically, FTTP means that you'll get fibre straight to your home which will terminate using a ONT modem. You can use the Zyxel only as a router (or AP) if you like.

cosrush

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 06:27:51 PM »

Not as a modem. Basically, FTTP means that you'll get fibre straight to your home which will terminate using a ONT modem. You can use the Zyxel only as a router (or AP) if you like.

Thanks for the reply. Trooli provide the DGA 4134 modem/router themselves for connection to the new fibre cabling not a ONT modem. This is why I wondered if I could still use my own Zyxel modem.
Is a modem/router for 1Gb speeds different to that used for lesser connections like my current 60Mb? I currently use my Zyxel in bridge mode to my router.

cosrush

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 06:35:15 PM »

It seems (having just searched up ONT) it is a specific kind of modem so I guess I'll have to stick with the ISP supplied one and run that in bridge mode instead.

redamo

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 06:40:19 PM »

Indeed, the DGA4134 is similar to your own Zyxel but that cannot be used as a modem. Either you'll be getting an Openreach ONT to be used as modem or you're not getting FTTP.

cosrush

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 06:57:57 PM »

Indeed, the DGA4134 is similar to your own Zyxel but that cannot be used as a modem. Either you'll be getting an Openreach ONT to be used as modem or you're not getting FTTP.

Thanks again. I'll have to look into this a bit more then as they made no mention of needing an Openreach ONT modem just stating they supply the DGA 4134 which made me think that would be directly connected to the main socket but from what you're saying I'll probably also get the modem. If this is the case hopefully I can then just connect the ONT to my own router and not use the DGA 4134 at all.

redamo

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 07:51:04 PM »

Indeed, if they're offering FTTP then they need to schedule an (Openreach) engineer to come over, get the fibre cable into your house, and install the ONT modem. I haven't heard of combined modem+ fibre router in the UK, but in Europe some ISPs are offering all-in-one equipment such as ZTE F660 which is a GPON router with WiFi. I think that Draytek has something similar as well.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 08:31:37 PM »

It seems (having just searched up ONT) it is a specific kind of modem so I guess I'll have to stick with the ISP supplied one and run that in bridge mode instead.

If it supports bridge mode then great, there is absolutely no reason to replace an ISP provided ONT or combined ONT+router in bridge mode.

Your router however may not be able to handle Gigabit.  The vast majority of routers with Gigabit ports are only because there is nothing faster than 100Mbit other than 1000Mbit, their routing capabilities can vary from 100-500Mbit with only higher end ones handling Gigabit.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cosrush

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 09:09:21 PM »

If it supports bridge mode then great, there is absolutely no reason to replace an ISP provided ONT or combined ONT+router in bridge mode.

Your router however may not be able to handle Gigabit.  The vast majority of routers with Gigabit ports are only because there is nothing faster than 100Mbit other than 1000Mbit, their routing capabilities can vary from 100-500Mbit with only higher end ones handling Gigabit.

Thanks for the info  :thumbs:

cosrush

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 09:10:35 PM »

Thanks for this too. I'll check my current router settings.  :thumbs:

Iain

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2023, 11:10:46 PM »

Given Trooli is an independant ISP using their own fibre, not Openrach, it might be better to start the reasearch again.
Don't forget your current ISP will have no clue you are moving so you will have to cancel when you
 are ready or the new service is running.

https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/providers/reviews/trooli/#:~:text=Headed%20up%20by%20a%20former,broadband%20through%20the%20Openreach%20network.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 03:29:43 PM »

Trooli don't use Openreach so there won't be an Openreach ONT.
Trooli will provide their own ONT (FTTP modem) with the DGA4134 as a router.

You will NEED to use their ONT but it should be possible to use the Zyxel instead of the Technicolor router.

IMO the Technicolor is probably the better router, supporting WiFi 6. The Zyxels main benefit is the filtered VDSL2 modem inside which will no longer be needed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 03:31:49 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

cosrush

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2024, 03:45:47 PM »

Thanks again to all those who previously replied  :)

So today I have had the FTTP installed.

My new ISP has provided me with a Adtran XDS621 ONT.

Previously when running with my Zyxel modem (in bridge mode) and TP Link router I needed to input the service login information in the router to access the inrenet service.

The install engineer said I just needed to connect my router to the ONT modem and I can leave my current login information on the router. I don't believe this would be correct would it???
The login info in the router is specific to my current ISP. I would imagine I'd need new login info for the new ISP service wouldn't I?
Pages: [1] 2 3