Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roofing guys cut of Pots line  (Read 3661 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Roofing guys cut of Pots line
« on: December 05, 2023, 07:57:32 PM »

Had some work done on the front of the house Sofits and Fascia to uPVC both FTTC and FTTP is connected to old fascia board but as it had to be updated the contracter removed old pots cable from Fascia and coiled it up then put ladders up to DP pole and snipped it half way up the the pole is this ok with BT Openreach ?

tonygibbs16

Re: Roofing guys cut of Pots line
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 04:41:52 PM »

My thoughts are that maybe and maybe not, as follows:

* I think that it is made safe as far as the roofers were concerned, but I think that Openreach would be likely to charge to reinstate  your services.

* FTTC might be ok as your roofers are likely to have cut a copper dropwire.

* FTTP might not react well to have its optical fibre overhead service being cut, and so might cost more for Openreach to reinstate your services.

Cheers,
    Tony

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 05:16:31 PM »

I find it very unlikely they will be happy, its their property and nobody but them has a right to remove it.  If its hanging loose off the DP, would that not pose a hazard in high winds?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 08:34:45 PM »

Oh wow - that is not good news!

Why on earth did they cut the cable?
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 09:23:05 PM »

I dont now why they did but they said the hook to old pots cable on eves was so corroded it would break when trying to fit it back again did have a look before it was removed and yes it was very bad after say forty years

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 09:35:50 PM »

I find it very unlikely they will be happy, its their property and nobody but them has a right to remove it.  If its hanging loose off the DP, would that not pose a hazard in high winds?

Yes I can see it moving in high winds in the adjacent property were DP pole is located

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 08:01:48 AM »

They most certainly should not have done this. The issue you have now is that if you tell Openreach they will likely bill you to resolve it.  :no:
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 09:20:06 AM »

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 03:02:14 PM »

Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 08:43:49 PM »

Some people just remove the pots cable coil in up and tie it to the DP pole, Why when FTTP is installed dont OR remove old copper cable when up there in the cherry picker it would save time and money than have to book another OR cherry picker to come and remove copper/pots cable, its not like anyone is going to go back to FTTC after having FTTP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 11:11:50 PM »

Some people just remove the pots cable coil in up and tie it to the DP pole, Why when FTTP is installed dont OR remove old copper cable when up there in the cherry picker it would save time and money than have to book another OR cherry picker to come and remove copper/pots cable, its not like anyone is going to go back to FTTC after having FTTP.

I'm guessing to avoid mistakes disconnecting someone who still has POTS, though they did that to me anyway as he wanted to use the old cable to pull the fibre as it crosses several back gardens.  Plus I didn't say "hey, wait, no" as I wanted it removed, just not necessarily until I had migrated to VoIP. ;)

Plus there is a chance someone would indeed move back to FTTC.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 11:15:02 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 11:58:50 PM »

Plus there is a chance someone would indeed move back to FTTC.

It definitely won't be me though FTTC was good when that was all you had won't forget the REIN SHINE Errored seconds disconects strange SNR issues T/Storms RF and others why would anyone go back to FTTC with all those issues  :(

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2023, 09:56:12 AM »

It definitely won't be me though FTTC was good when that was all you had won't forget the REIN SHINE Errored seconds disconects strange SNR issues T/Storms RF and others why would anyone go back to FTTC with all those issues  :(
Totally agree.
The ADSL/VDSL technology never ceased to amaze me regarding what data speeds were achievable through a copper cable pair which was really only ever designed for voice service/frequencies.
Very much enjoyed learning about and monitoring the technology thanks to the many very knowledgable patrons on this forum, ADSL/VDSL absolutely had many recognised and well documented limitations as outlined by "NewtronStar" and many others, certainly could be frustrating at times :'(

However, that's the past and full fibre is certainly the future.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 03:28:24 PM »

Speaking of, we had high winds (actually we have them again) and my fibre was being pushed back and forth by a Magnolia bush that had grown far too tall.

To my surprise, the fibre won, the branch broke off.

I guess it makes sense, those wires either side of the fibre have to be strong to keep the fibre from being pulled apart under tension, but I was a little concerned.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2023, 03:30:00 PM »

Clearly you've never met Adrian of TB forum fame...
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller
Pages: [1] 2

anything