Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Voice data encryption  (Read 2747 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Voice data encryption
« on: December 03, 2023, 11:48:01 AM »

Greetings!

My router reports that the signal for digital phone is not encrypted via UDP and that Encrypted RTP Voice Data is not used. The number is with A&A.

I'd think that it'd be encrypted. I've checked the settings on the router and there isn't an  option to enable TLS or something for that. I've checked the config page for A&A number management and I can't see any options related to encryption either.

Is that standard not to have the signal encrypted when using digital voice? Probably since when using, say, a landline  phone then tehy don't have the capability to encrypt, but since calls are made over the Internet, I thought this would be the case?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 11:54:35 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Voice data encryption
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 08:52:46 AM »

I've put in or worked on loads of SIP trunks for businesses, none were encrypted on the business to ITSP leg,even where thats carried over the Internet. That suggests to me that it's not seen as a big deal. The only encrypted link I've done was local gateway into Webex Calling.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 02:27:30 PM »

I guess traditionally telephone calls have never been considered secure, its just potentially a whole lot easier to tap SIP traffic than a hard line.

Although given you'd have to be the right spot in the network and collect a whole lot of data and sniff out just the right packets, maybe not. 

Opening up the local cabinet to your target and finding the right pair seems easy in comparison.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 02:29:50 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tonygibbs16

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 03:49:08 PM »

Hi all,

The PSTN at least with BT is protected by employees having to sign part 1 of the Official Secrets Act, to say that they won't listen in. I had to sign it on my first day of employment.

VoIP can be vulnerable without encryption because computers looking for calls don't get bored, and so can run 24/7 looking for something interesting.

Yes, with separate pairs of wires and circuit switching, it takes more effort to find particular conversations so not everyone did it it (except MI5 - think Peter Wright and his Spycatcher book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spycatcher ).

Nowadays, it can be easier.

Cheers,
     Tony

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 03:54:14 PM »

Although given you'd have to be the right spot in the network and collect a whole lot of data and sniff out just the right packets, maybe not. 

Opening up the local cabinet to your target and finding the right pair seems easy in comparison.
You certainly need to capture a huge amount. Wireshark will do the filtering on captured data, and even play back the audio. We've occasionally had to do that for voice quality issues, to see if the customer is receiving poor quality and confirm it's not being messed up within the customer's network.

anything