Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP but no 'light'  (Read 2157 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP but no 'light'
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2023, 10:30:18 AM »

Which Fritzbox do you have? The 7590 has 5 lan ports.. The 5th is used (can be configured) for WAN, i.e. you would connect this to the ONT/modem.
The Fritzbox 7530 has only 4 lan ports, so the 1st port becomes (can be configured) the WAN.

My mate uses a Fritzbox 7950 on his new TOOB fibre connection, after the initial first activation with the Linksys router they supplied, we then switched to the Fritzbox WAN port and is now connected to a 900Mb symmetrical connection ;D

No login was required in the Wan setup for TOOB. When you do this the DSL will be turned off?

Note: Changing from DSL to WAN, We found the login on the Fritzbox changed!! now the default is 192.168.188.1 YMMV ;)
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2023, 10:34:15 AM »

CHeers. Isn't that if you cease/port the number when with BT, then broadband services automatically stop, too? So, the only option would be to buy a new number and then do call redirect.

Unless things have changed - can anyone confirm? If not, then this would be for the knowledge of the whole Kitz community.

Also see here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/held-hostage-with-this-bt-digital-voice.38231/

I had the whole cease nonse to get my number out - but I am on copper.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2023, 01:03:31 PM »

CHeers. Isn't that if you cease/port the number when with BT, then broadband services automatically stop, too? So, the only option would be to buy a new number and then do call redirect.

Unless things have changed - can anyone confirm? If not, then this would be for the knowledge of the whole Kitz community.

Also see here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/held-hostage-with-this-bt-digital-voice.38231/

That's still the case.

No your broadband is on fibre not a copper pair. Porting the number is simple and easy process.

Many posters on here have done this. Also you could use an ATA device to plug your phones into then it’s separate from whatever router you use.

It's irrelevant if it's FTTC or FTTP. If you buy a bundle voice+broadband package from BT then they are linked and porting the landline number triggers a cease on the broadband. Cancelling the cease cancels the number port.
BT are not the only ones that do this.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2023, 10:56:20 PM »

@g3uiss

Thanks, but the problem is that you can't. The reason for that, and that's the reason for the whole BT s***, is that you have no access to sip credentials. These are 'hard-wired' into the Hub somewhat and somewhere that is not accessible by the user. So, if I had the credentials, I could use them to set up the Telephony on Fritzbox, but you can't. So, getting an ATA device isn't going to work, I don't think.

@parkdale

I have a 7530. I can access the fibre, but trying to set up the SIP side of things, by 'guessing' the credentials, didn't work (cf. https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/2896502-bt-sip-config-setup-c460ip-decom-homehub-kit.html)

@j0hn

Thanks, J0hn. I wish I'd spoke to you before so I'd know!

So, it looks like the only way to avoid cancellations and avoid using the BT Hub is to buy another voice (most likely from Andrews and Arnolds) and set up call forwarding on the old one to the new one. What a carry on. Thanks very much, BT, for being so mega difficult, and thanks to my other half for not listening to me.

Did anyone set up Fritzbox to be used with digital voice from A&A? Can it just be set up using the 'Telephony' function and then calls on that number received by plugging in an analogue phone, or does one need extra equipment for this to work, such as ATA?

Thank you in advance!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 11:34:51 PM by Edinburgh_lad »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2023, 11:31:06 PM »

The right way to do it was to buy FTTP as broadband only, a new line.  Then once its working port your number over to AAISP causing the old service to cease.

Of course you'll unfortunately need to do the workaround now until the contract period is up.   :'(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 11:33:43 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2023, 11:36:51 PM »

Yep, you're right, Alex.

Contract is for 2 years!  :no:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2023, 03:21:15 AM »

Its hugely frustrating, OFCOM should have mandated from day one that Digital Voice HAD to be separate from the broadband contract.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2023, 07:33:13 AM »

I agree with you, but there isn't really an argument, or at least I can't think of one, to present to ofcom: that I don't like my provider's router? That's not a good enough argument. Remember also that you (and other regulars on here) know far more about broadband than an average broadband user and so for such a user it's probably more convenient to have both services offered to them at once, rather than having to buy them separately, and remember to move both when changing providers to save money. Maybe I'm wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything