Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: XGS-PON loss of upload speed causes?  (Read 1489 times)

moojuice

XGS-PON loss of upload speed causes?
« on: October 28, 2023, 05:45:09 PM »

Hi
So Ive been with Alt-Net Toob (Southampton, so their own network, not CityFibre), for about 3 months now and until today, so far, so good.
The service is a symmetrical 900mbit offering and previous speed tests via ethernet showed 940mbit download and upload.

Today I noticed the upload wasn't as perky as usual and doing a few speedtests, the upload seems to max out at around 400mbit. Nothing has changed in my own installation, but a neighbour has recently been connected to the same pole as me.

My question - does anyone know if a dirty or waterlogged fibre up the pole would be a possible reason why my upload speed has dropped (download still fine), or is the issue more likely a faulty ONT, either my own, or a neighbours? Toob are using Adtran 621i ONT's. Anyone know if there's a way of getting some fibre db signal strength data out of one of these?
Toob are due out in a few days time, but until then I am curious if anyone has some thoughts on this?

PS. Tested my mums Toob connection, also in Southampton but about a mile away and hers is still 940/940 mbit both ways, so it's not a wider network issue but something rather local to me.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: XGS-PON loss of upload speed causes?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 06:38:02 PM »

I had this issue with my you fibre connection. Turned out to be a bad splice at the ont end for me

moojuice

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 07:20:12 PM »

From what I can tell, they do proper splicing on the main network, then up the pole it's a Hellerman Tyton splitter where they plug in a pre-made weatherproof fibre dropwire into the box on the splitter. The cable is sent overhead to the house, tacked down the wall and the other end is coiled up into a Hellermann black wall box and they use an SC/APC patch cable to plug into that and it's fed into the house to the ONT. So plenty of points of possible failure and optical losses!

moojuice

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 08:59:52 PM »

Turns out they have a network issue and upload speeds are affected across various parts of Southampton. Called them this afternoon and they have no ETA to fix it either!