Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: pfSense plus home user experiment comes to an end?  (Read 2728 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
pfSense plus home user experiment comes to an end?
« on: October 27, 2023, 02:45:20 PM »

Seems pfSense pulled the free plus licenses, a few of us on here stayed on CE, which now seems was the right decision.

https://www.netgate.com/blog/addressing-changes-to-pfsense-plus-homelab

Already a video guide up on changing back. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFUcmWTazGg
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 03:29:17 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: pfSense plus home user experiment comes to an end?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 07:49:23 PM »

Trying to wrap my head around this, it seems like poor license management on their part led to people abusing the free license for commercial use?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 05:22:26 PM »

Yeah, it looks like there is no post install validation.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 12:05:42 AM »

I mean I HATE the idea of telemetry on principle, but in this particular case its kinda nuts they didn't have something in place.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 10:13:10 AM »

I stayed on CE also, working great, been thinking about switching to OPNsense though, I prefer the interface and the seeming lack of pfSense updates is concerning me (no science behind this just normal paranoia)

;D

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 11:50:46 AM »

OPNsense  ;)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 06:21:44 PM »

I looked into opnsense when some others moved over around the time plus was been planned.

The problem for me is there is differences, its not feature equivalent.

Ultimately two things were a blocker for me on the migration.

As you guys know I made a wiki guide which centres around the system patches package, from what I can observe there is no such package on opnsense, which means anything I dont like I cannot easily patch around it, all patch management is manual.

The second issue snowballs it because opnsense has fairly frequent updates, after each update I have to repatch manually.

There is a fair amount of things I would need to patch as well, as opnsense does some things differently, and some things it cannot do at all, without me implementing the feature itself.  Without a system patches package it just makes it too hard to work with.  Thats why I stayed on pfSense.

I also do feel there has been a over reaction on CE, as some are acting like its dead, not maintained etc. when its still working as it was and still gets fixes (Ronski's issue I reported and was patched quickly).  Its a firewall, it doesn't need major updates regularly like a desktop OS.  So that's why I stuck with the CE, the plus idea just never made sense to me.  People were jumping over when it was practically the same code but having to jump through weird licensing steps whilst CE is a bog standard download and install process.  As it turns out CE is still here, whilst plus home+lab is now gone.

If a system patches package was added to opnsense it would be a game changer, as I currently have just under 20 patches I use on pfSense ( I didn't post the more complex one's).  I also would have to accept a more rapid update model which I am not keen on for my firewall.

I do like the more modern opnsense interface though especially the traffic graphs.  It's dashboard also seems to use way less resources vs pfSense dashboard.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 06:31:40 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 08:58:48 PM »

Same opinion for me on OPNsense, its designed to do more "out of the box" rather than be configurable.  The latter is more important to me.

Not to mention having to manually go back and add all my policy routing.  I know how pfSense works now, the fact OPNsense might be clearer for new users is detrimental to my learned knowledge of how pfSense works.  I'd have to learn everything from scratch again for no benefit.

I'm totally down with learning something new when there is an obvious benefit to it, but why go through that pain for no reason?

Prime example, I upgraded to Windows 11 day one because it gave me AutoHDR which makes a huge improvement to games on my TV.  I also found no down sides over 10 so upgraded my other machines too as its easier to manage if problem do occur if you're running the same thing on multiple machines.

I run Fedora on my server because I run Fedora on my clients.  There may be better alternatives for a server but the knowledge I gained from using it in day to day use is more valuable.  I reboot the server less, so I have a reasonable idea what might go wrong from updating my clients before I reboot into a new kernel or update the distro.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 09:05:02 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 09:27:19 AM »

I think the last two posts are clear examples of working with what you are most comfortable with/most compatible with your requirements.

I use OPNsense as my router mostly because it just does what it says on the tin. In fact from my perspective I found the pfsense UI far more intuitive - but I moved from it due to the politics.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 11:56:00 AM »

Sometimes when you learn a more convoluted way of doing things, trying to switch to something that tries to do more for you actually becomes counter-intuitive.  I always suspected this would be the problem if I tried to switch to OPNsense.

Same reason I moved to Manual NAT configuration quickly.  If you need to do more specific rules, it just gets more confusing having half of it automatic and the other half manual.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 01:01:29 PM »

Sometimes when you learn a more convoluted way of doing things, trying to switch to something that tries to do more for you actually becomes counter-intuitive.  I always suspected this would be the problem if I tried to switch to OPNsense.

Same reason I moved to Manual NAT configuration quickly.  If you need to do more specific rules, it just gets more confusing having half of it automatic and the other half manual.

Oh yeah I am fully manual too.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2023, 09:03:52 PM »

I think the last two posts are clear examples of working with what you are most comfortable with/most compatible with your requirements.

I use OPNsense as my router mostly because it just does what it says on the tin. In fact from my perspective I found the pfsense UI far more intuitive - but I moved from it due to the politics.

Indeed, I was using a fork of asuswrt-merlin prior to shifting, and I had all sorts of scripts, cron's and manual stuff I was doing to make things work, whilst now what I do is largely simplified, hence me sticking with what is working for me.

Like you and Alex I went fully manual on the NAT as well for the same reasons.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2023, 04:28:53 AM »

Also why I much prefer OpenWRT for Access Points, I find the Zyxel interface overly complex and they decided not to export the link rates over SNMP which is extremely annoying.

It boggles my mind how unreliable SNMP implementations are these days.  For example on my Netgear switches I can't probe certain information or the query fails.  Getting traffic stats in particular takes several seconds per port which is insane.

I wonder if this is all designed to push you to their cloud services?