Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: router + power surge protector  (Read 2675 times)

router + power surge protector
« on: October 11, 2023, 07:03:07 AM »

I am on FTTC with DLM always running, could I see a reduction in errors if I placed my router into a power surge protector?

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: router + power surge protector
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 09:24:02 AM »

Highly unlikely, sorry.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 03:41:39 PM »

I am on FTTC with DLM always running, could I see a reduction in errors if I placed my router into a power surge protector?

If by power surge protector you mean mains conditioner, then I think it's worth a try. I plugged my Xyxel bridge and router into one of those Tacima things on the 10th August. Interleaving was taken off my line nearly 29 days ago; DLM had been "interfering" with my line ever since I moved from ADSL to VDSL more than 10 years ago. I still only get around 57Mb downstream on an 80/20 service though...  ::)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 10:42:51 PM »

If by power surge protector you mean mains conditioner, then I think it's worth a try. I plugged my Xyxel bridge and router into one of those Tacima things on the 10th August. Interleaving was taken off my line nearly 29 days ago; DLM had been "interfering" with my line ever since I moved from ADSL to VDSL more than 10 years ago. I still only get around 57Mb downstream on an 80/20 service though...  ::)

What's the evidence that the improvement was due to your power surge protector? The improvement could have been due to other factors. Easily.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 11:39:47 PM »

What's the evidence that the improvement was due to your power surge protector? The improvement could have been due to other factors. Easily.

What's the evidence it wasn't?  Really no way to know without trying.

I have a Tacima on my surround receiver and it definitely seemed to stop the fridge turning on and off making popping noises out of the amp.  That sort of thing could could upset a router if the filtering in the PSU is not great.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 02:11:08 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 02:04:02 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 02:12:11 AM »

Just note were talking conditioner not surge protector here, they're more expensive and its still not guaranteed to be the problem.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 09:56:36 AM »

Timing? Anyway, except for the 40-odd quid outlay, I don't see any downside to buying one. And it's a mains power conditioner with surge protection built-in...  :P

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 12:11:55 PM »

Actually there's no proper reason why a mains conditioner would affect DLM anyway, unless BT have started using Tacimas to clean up their power supply...  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 04:22:40 PM »

Actually there's no proper reason why a mains conditioner would affect DLM anyway, unless BT have started using Tacimas to clean up their power supply...  ;)

If noise on the mains side makes it past the PSU filtering it can impact the modem, I'm sure its not the first time I've heard of it making a difference.