Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: advice on changing providers  (Read 8382 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: advice on changing providers
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2023, 02:24:51 PM »

Doesn't that LG TV have a LAN connection? I'd be using that rather than Wi-Fi if it's near the router.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2023, 12:24:30 PM »

Doesn't that LG TV have a LAN connection? I'd be using that rather than Wi-Fi if it's near the router.

Re-read the thread, they want to stream content that peaks at higher than 100Mbit.

It's the LG B8 OLED from 2018 bought in 2019 new, reduced from £2000 to £1200 on the advice of users on AV-forums (to wait).

A quick Googling:
So I purchased an Anker USB 3.0 to Gig Ethernet adapter (Model A7610) - plugged it into the USB 2.0 Port on the TV, turned on the TV and it worked first time !  :D

Ethernet connection is now 1 Gig, but of course as the TV only has USB 2.0 - an nperf/fast.com speedtest is only getting 170 Mbps down - but that is still a significant improvement over 100Mbps Ethernet which only gets about 94 Mbps on the same speedtest.

Interestingly, you have to turn OFF both the wifi and ethernet (disable the port/unplug) for it to work - but everything works just fine thus far.

Personally, I just use a ShieldTV for high bitrate content.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2023, 12:29:22 PM »

That is well known to cause WiFi issues
Hi gt94sss2 ,

I'm sure 99.9% this is it — because as soon as PON was installed, this was when it all started! (routers behind the TV!), this morning it seemed to get slightly better Tx/Rx rates (to the TV) when all ariels are just vertical, and, the router is pushed away (3 inches / 7.5 cm) back — that's all I can do until I get it put about 3 feet (0.91 m) away (all I can do) on top of my unit, but it should be enough. I'll be playing with Tx power output and channel and antenna manipulation.

Also, it will take it away from right next to my big living room window (a known bad spot for Wi-Fi routers) further protecting it from the neighbours Wi-Fi.

Hey Alex, the router is BRILLIANT - I will be starting a post on it soon, to see if there are any other TP-LINK Archer 7x users that may have advice?
the stuff available is brilliant, and for almost half price! - it uses 6% CPU and 26% RAM during use.

EDIT: I Tried the USB3.0 route, got a good one, and it only gave me 115Mbps, was going to get another to see if a different brand would work, as everyone else with my TV is getting 250-300Mbps on LAN over USB...I didn't on that one, and it wasn't a 'cheap' one either! — I would actually like my Wi-Fi completely off and use data only on my mob, as I get 20GB and never go over 1GB..! — so, think I will re-try that route!

EDIT2: deffo gonna 're-try' USB-TO-LAN because just now at '455 Tx / 867 Rx', Disney+ went from 15Mbps (4K) to 4Mbps (SD)... for 7-8 seconds before jumping back to 4K, whilst I was watching a 4K episode! - I've spent hours this morning moving antennas and the router about at the back of the TV lol... just going to leave until I get another USB 3 device, and if that one still doesnt get me at least 150Mbps then I will have to move the router.
cheers

Edited for wrong name and extra info
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 01:33:55 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2023, 03:11:07 PM »

...to add further, I'm definitely going to have to make some drastic changes to its location, settings, and antennas for testing purposes, and the USB-to-LAN route (again).  - now. Im sitting watching while I have the post open.

Because I'm now having all sorts of problems with LAN and Wi-Fi on the TV too, it doesn't like both being connected at the same time (that never used to happen, it would say “connected to internet” on both), but it doesn't aggregate them together, it uses one or the other.

I was just watching a Disney+ episode over Wi-Fi, that kept dropping from 4K to SD, then 10–20 seconds later back to 4K. 4K from Disney is a mere 15Mbps and SD is a mere 4Mbps — all over 5Ghz Wi-Fi, and it can't manage that?

I hope I get a USB-to-LAN that gets me 200Mbps+, as MANY others with the LG B8 55" set were getting 250-300Mbps over a theoretical 480Mbps link rate with these USB3 devices on a USB2 port, as I say the one I got only got 115Mbps, a 20Mbps increase only, I think that 150-200MMbps is all I would need for headroom. Then I can disable Wi-Fi completely. (more secure).

....and whilst typing now, it's reconnected to Wi-Fi (it says for Wi-Fi "connected to the internet") and it says the LAN (after plugged in for 20 minutes) now says "No Internet Via Ethernet"..? Strange when BT's router it would say BOTH were "connected to the internet".

5 minutes later NO INTERNET VIA Wi-Fi OR LAN..

Then, 2 minutes later, Wi-Fi = "CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET"

During all of which I've never touched the thing.

aaaagghh hahaha - I have to get it shifted, and get back onto Amazon for a USB-to-LAN device...again. lol

cheers

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2023, 08:57:29 PM »

I'd honestly look for a USB 2.0 to Gigabit ethernet adapter, you know its going to be within the current rating then.  Although I think the key is it has be a driverless adapter for the TV to support it using the generic USB Ethernet driver.

Actually, that also means the USB to 2.5Gbit Realtek adapters probably work too.  If I can find mine I will check it on my C8.
So apparently not, which is strange as it worked before it was officially supported on Linux.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 09:07:10 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2023, 09:48:47 AM »

I'd honestly look for a USB 2.0 to Gigabit ethernet adapter, you know its going to be within the current rating then.  Although I think the key is it has be a driverless adapter for the TV to support it using the generic USB Ethernet driver.

Actually, that also means the USB to 2.5Gbit Realtek adapters probably work too.  If I can find mine I will check it on my C8.
So apparently not, which is strange as it worked before it was officially supported on Linux.

well, I thought I would first 're-try' the good one I got on this new TP-Link router - low and behold, 310Mbps on the Netflix test! - got a 75Mbps 4K "averaged" video playing smoothly with no issues, brill, Wi-Fi is getting turned off, it's just an entry point! mobile data will do for now.

I assumed it was a TV limit, seems it was something to do with routers?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:59:41 AM by snadge »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2023, 01:12:20 PM »

To those who get this on Aquiss and have set PPPoE at 1492 in their Windows TCP/IP Stack, be sure to change it from 1480 (default) to 1492 in the router, I noticed whilst speed tests were fine, download speeds themselves were 'iffy', luckily a quick search found the issue, mismatched MTU's - soon as I changed it the problem went away

so yeah these TP-Link Archer series seem to have 1480 MTU by default.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2023, 04:33:09 PM »

Shame there is no online MAC system anymore.

I requested a PAC on EE when my last contract expired, and within 20 minutes a retention dude rang me and gave me a pretty good deal.  All without me doing any kind of reaching out, just one click of a button.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2023, 05:55:55 PM »

To those who get this on Aquiss and have set PPPoE at 1492 in their Windows TCP/IP Stack, be sure to change it from 1480 (default) to 1492 in the router,

Nobody changes the MTU settings in Windows any more and neither should you. I'm sure you have been given this advice a couple times already.
The OS can adjust this on the fly and picking a fixed MTU will do nothing but cause issues.

so yeah these TP-Link Archer series seem to have 1480 MTU by default.

I've never owned a TP-Link that wasn't set to 1500 MTU by default (which is 1492 on PPPoE).

You should reset whatever you changed with TCP/IP in Windows to default settings and you likely will find the TP-Link behaving normally again.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2023, 06:05:07 PM »

Agreed, generally you only need to make sure the router settings are correct and possibly change any game consoles, but PCs should not need anything changing from default.
Pages: 1 2 [3]