Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: advice on changing providers  (Read 8386 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
advice on changing providers
« on: October 09, 2023, 11:01:50 AM »

Hi everyone, hope you're all well... :cool:

I have been on BT's FTTP 900Mbps for 23 months now, It's up in November, 90% of the time it's been fine, however I don't like the price (£66) and the BT company (as a broadband retailer).

I am also willing to drop the speed to 500Mbps but no lower than that, I would like to stay at 900 if I could, but I am open to other options (mostly just for a change in ISPs)

Has anyone got any advice/suggestions for me, please?

many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 11:07:21 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: advice on changing providers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 12:43:33 PM »

For what it’s worth I’m on Cerebus 500/75 £60/m

Absolutely no issues.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 01:33:58 PM »

If you're willing to stay with BT, you will probably find their customer options team/retentions can offer you substantial discounts

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 04:41:44 PM »

If you're willing to stay with BT, you will probably find their customer options team/retentions can offer you substantial discounts
Agreed - last time I re-contracted and their standard team weren't willing to negotiate I called back and said "leaving BT" to their voice recognition system and got through to someone you was much happier to do me a deal.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 07:43:47 PM »

For what it’s worth I’m on Cerebus 500/75 £60/m

Rather expensive for 500, most providers would be more like £45 or less.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 08:52:23 PM »

Maybe, I pay £55 for 55Mbps throughput... so maybe not  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 09:52:16 PM »

Why I said "most" providers.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 01:44:26 PM »

In 2000, a BTopenworld 0.5Mbps ADSL connection was £39.99 IIRC, in todays money with inflation that is around £150 per Mbps (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator)

Based on the above, you could say £55 for 55Mbps is a bargain  :)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 03:00:29 PM »

I remember paying £33.99 a month for 1Mbps in 2003.

Am paying £120 a month between Starlink and AAISP for around 350-400Mbps so not bad value really.

Looking forward to going full Gig for under £50 a month though... and then 2Gbps when I can. (Will likely take VM and something over OR if they do indeed show up)
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 03:33:48 PM »

Looking forward to going full Gig for under £50 a month though...

TalkTalk Business had their 900 Full Fibre Business service including single static IP on offer for £31.95 last month, the 500 service was £29.95. Have to add VAT as quoted as business tariff.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 10:17:23 AM »

Hello again,

Thank you very much for all the replies and advice, it's much appreciated, I have had a look at them all, Talk-Talk I was wary of due to bad experiences by friends and family, but I know they picked up a bit as this was 10+ years ago, and if you used their forum for support it was reliable.

I will call BT retentions, see if they can match AQUISS (which I doubt very much they could) as they do 900 @ £27.50 a month for 6 months, then £55.00 a month thereafter on a 12-month contract, £0.00 activation / install – no router supplied, which forces me to buy one (which I wanted to do anyway), I'm impressed with Customer Support so far, as within 3 minutes they emailed a reply! — I've just got the list of suggested and recommended routers from their staff within 3 minutes of emailing them!

In my last few weeks now, so need to motivate haha…

I'd really appreciate some feedback on AQUISS if anyone has any, I've always known it's meant to be a great ISP always top of tables, yet I'm a bit worried why it's FTTP900 is so cheap but gets rave reviews??

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the help!  :cool:

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 01:56:24 PM »

I'd really appreciate some feedback on AQUISS if anyone has any, I've always known it's meant to be a great ISP always top of tables, yet I'm a bit worried why it's FTTP900 is so cheap but gets rave reviews??

I've used Aquiss FTTP, no complaints. They are white labeling Entanet/CityFibre ISP. My understanding the half price discount is funded by 'marketing' budget from one of their suppliers, for new customers only. Aquiss don't supply a 'free' router. Other ISPs may offer a 'free' router, but obviously has to be paid for some how, in the monthly price maybe?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 07:45:13 PM »

I've used Aquiss FTTP, no complaints. They are white labeling Entanet/CityFibre ISP. My understanding the half price discount is funded by 'marketing' budget from one of their suppliers, for new customers only. Aquiss don't supply a 'free' router. Other ISPs may offer a 'free' router, but obviously has to be paid for some how, in the monthly price maybe?

yeah, I think you're right, the owner said he was willing to 'up' the price haha, as I enquired “is it unlimited or metered? as it's such a good deal?" he-he

I've signed up as BT could not match £41 a month (average for the 1st year) for 12 months (£55 a year after that - which is BT's 'starting' price) - I'm now paying BT almost £70 a month after 24 months because of CPI increases!, Aquiss has no yearly CPI increase!! the price stays the same, and no charges for 'upgrading' and just a small charge to downgrade, all done and dusted, all the reviews I read are raving, and most are long term users! (20 years etc) that says a lot!

for VDSL, Plusnet was the ISP of choice for me. Sky second place.

Hopefully this will be my new home for FTTP, BT was good, I have to admit, only twice in 2 years did it degrade to 600 (High Radial Count) - once i had to call (45 minute wait) to get it sorted and was done within 24 hours, the 2nd time it was auto-sorted within days!! = so hats off to BT, I just fancy something a bit more 'technical' now... you seem to get more technical data with them.

I used to be with an Entanet re-seller years back, cant remember its name, but it was good, it had usage limits but the 24Mbit speed was always there, I remember the term "lighting candles" as 'adding bandwidth'.

Anyway It's good to hear from another Aquiss user with another positive review, the 2-3 negative ones I found I deduced from the convo/remarks that the issue was the customer's lack of knowledge, not the service itself.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 02:14:25 AM »

Hi everyone, hope you're all well... :cool:

I have been on BT's FTTP 900Mbps for 23 months now, It's up in November, 90% of the time it's been fine, however I don't like the price (£66) and the BT company (as a broadband retailer).

I am also willing to drop the speed to 500Mbps but no lower than that, I would like to stay at 900 if I could, but I am open to other options (mostly just for a change in ISPs)

Has anyone got any advice/suggestions for me, please?

many thanks in advance.

My brother and my sis in law have BT 1000/110 for 24 months but was phoned BT to say they are leaving them because of price they are paying £67 a month as BT told them how about staying with them for two more years with the same FTTP 1000/110 for half price £37 a month for 2 years as they finally agreed on it. That's what they told me last week when I visit them. I told them they are lucky indeed as I am paying SoGEA 80/20 @ £35 a month.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:17:22 AM by adslmax »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2023, 12:24:30 PM »

Have a looksie at Vodafone. Was sent a screenshot showing them selling gigabit over Openreach for less than £40 a month.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything