Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pole question  (Read 3261 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Pole question
« on: October 07, 2023, 12:35:48 AM »

Hello

My pole has fttp but the thingy has four sockets in it, two of which are already being used. My question is: is each socket to be assigned to a customer (4 sockets = 4 customers)? For some reason Openreach installed the four socket thingy on the pole at the front of property, even though 6 properties get fed from that pole via a DSL line at the moment. On the other hand, they installed an 8 (or maybe it's 6) socket thingy on the pole at the back of the property, even though no Tel l line in the past was served by that pole. The other question is: does the customer have a say/choice which pole they want to be served from (in the situation like above) when Openreach install fttp?

Thank you kindly.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 09:44:29 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Pole question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 02:10:09 PM »

CBT ports aren't assigned or reserved.
It's very much a 1st come 1st served where insufficient capacity exists.

Customers can even order a 2nd FTTP service and be given a 2nd CBT port, making capacity issues worse.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

marineio

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 06:29:38 PM »

Not to mention if there are other poles in the vicinity, you may get fed from one of these instead. We have our copper from one pole, and fibre from another.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 05:37:28 PM »

FTTP is constantly undergoing policy review, to help progress the build in a cost-effective and timely manner.

One recent change is the 'Port Reduction Policy' that means (for example) .... you could have 30 customers fed via an overhead pole that would usually entail cabling three CBT's (2 x 12 port and and 1 x 8 port) all the way back to the splitter and attaching all three at the pole.

However, now we would likely attach just the 1 x 12 port CBT,  and return to attach more if and when the demand is there.

Capacity splicing from the Head End to the Splitter will still be carried out ,as part of the original build plans.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 06:19:32 PM »

Thank you all very much. Much appreciated.

Here is my pole with what looks like four ports, two of which being used. Just wanted to clarify that each is indeed a port?

Also, does attaching additional CBTs not require additional cabling?

(Sorry, I know very little about FTTP)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 07:22:55 PM »

Thank you all very much. Much appreciated.

Here is my pole with what looks like four ports, two of which being used. Just wanted to clarify that each is indeed a port?

Also, does attaching additional CBTs not require additional cabling?

(Sorry, I know very little about FTTP)

Yup, each is a port.

Your second question is answered by the above comment - 'One recent change is the 'Port Reduction Policy' that means (for example) .... you could have 30 customers fed via an overhead pole that would usually entail cabling three CBT's (2 x 12 port and and 1 x 8 port) all the way back to the splitter and attaching all three at the pole.'

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 09:07:18 PM »

However, now we would likely attach just the 1 x 12 port CBT,  and return to attach more if and when the demand is there.

The fun part is when you come back and find alt-nets have taken all the pole capacity. ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 12:29:59 PM »

;D ;D Indeed  ;D ;D

anything