Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyway to find where local 5G masts are?  (Read 4483 times)

AnthonyG

Anyway to find where local 5G masts are?
« on: September 29, 2023, 04:22:15 PM »

I was just wondering if there is anyway to find out where the local masts are for 5G. Just so I can know which ISP is closest to me and also to know if I was to consider getting an external 5G aerial the best local to install it to my house (from back or side).

I was hoping this may be publicly identifiable information but google searching for this is not bringing up anything other than basic "yes 5G is available at your postcode)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Anyway to find where local 5G masts are?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 06:05:40 PM »

Yeah it would be nice if they did.  Although given the often shorter range of 5G I figured out mine by walking the area and comparing that to the coverage map.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 07:57:01 PM »

Most of them have local 5G maps that might help you pin point some of the masts based on signal stength.   Would be a bit harder though if the area has quite good coverage.#
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 11:28:05 PM »

I don't know why but Cellmapper doesn't seem to show Three outside London or have an option for 5G at all.

Mast Database is spotty.  When I look at telecoms sites (the only thing that seems to show exact locations) interestingly it shows the new OR pole feeding my DP with fibre, yet all the local masts I know about are missing entirely.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 12:11:53 PM »

I was just wondering if there is anyway to find out where the local masts are for 5G. Just so I can know which ISP is closest to me and also to know if I was to consider getting an external 5G aerial the best local to install it to my house (from back or side).

I was hoping this may be publicly identifiable information but google searching for this is not bringing up anything other than basic "yes 5G is available at your postcode)

Short answer, no.

Long answer, here in the UK, the networks have deployed 5G Non-Standalone (NSA).
NSA means that 5G uses a 4G control band as the primary cell and 5G is actually the secondary cell.
https://source.android.com/docs/core/connect/5g-nsa

Due to this, apps like cellmapper can only query the primary 4g control band cell, and the only 5G SA results you can see is where Vodafone, 3, EE and O2 are testing 5G Standalone, for example for the King's Coronation, ITV used Vodafone 5G SA to stream the entire event, Vodafone are also testing 5G SA with select contract customers who have a Samsung Galaxy S21/S22 or Oppo Find X3/X5 Pro:
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/newscentre/viewpoint/5g-standalone-unlocking-the-true-power-of-digital/

AnthonyG

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 02:28:17 PM »

NSA means that 5G uses a 4G control band as the primary cell and 5G is actually the secondary cell.

Thanks for your answer. From this can I ask two more questions based on this

1. Is there a way you can find the physical locations of each of the ISPs 4G towers to see who has the closest by 4G mast
And
2. If I physically go to the location and look at the local 4G tower in person for each ISP. Is there a way I can see if this mast is one that is also outputting 5G from any unique physical attribute?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 06:26:34 PM »

Short answer, no.

Long answer, here in the UK, the networks have deployed 5G Non-Standalone (NSA).
https://source.android.com/docs/core/connect/5g-nsa

Due to this, apps like cellmapper can only query the primary 4g control band cell, and the only 5G SA results you can see is where Vodafone, 3, EE and O2 are testing 5G Standalone, for example for the King's Coronation, ITV used Vodafone 5G SA to stream the entire event, Vodafone are also testing 5G SA with select contract customers who have a Samsung Galaxy S21/S22 or Oppo Find X3/X5 Pro:
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/newscentre/viewpoint/5g-standalone-unlocking-the-true-power-of-digital/

I'm almost certain Three has moved to SA here as the upload speed increased dramatically and my router doesn't show signal strength for 4G any more.

Its still not on the list as I guess nobody nearby with a 5G phone using the network with Cellmapper installed.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 10:33:50 AM »

Thanks for your answer. From this can I ask two more questions based on this

1. Is there a way you can find the physical locations of each of the ISPs 4G towers to see who has the closest by 4G mast
And
2. If I physically go to the location and look at the local 4G tower in person for each ISP. Is there a way I can see if this mast is one that is also outputting 5G from any unique physical attribute?

2. Peter C hosts a website where he takes photos of all 4G and 5G masts in the country:
https://pedroc.co.uk/
https://www.youtube.com/@scivids1999

That should help, although just because the 5G antenna is there, does not mean it is live.

1. https://www.cellmapper.net/ should be able to help with information, although it does require the public with suitable 5g android phones to run the cellmapper app and report data so can be out of date.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2023, 04:21:28 PM »

I have an app called Network Cell Info which identifies the locations of the masts I am using on my Android phone. I use the free version.

https://www.m2catalyst.com/network-cell-info

They also have some other apps as well on their website
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 04:24:47 PM by gt94sss2 »

celso

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 12:12:00 PM »

I'm almost certain Three has moved to SA here as the upload speed increased dramatically and my router doesn't show signal strength for 4G any more.

Its still not on the list as I guess nobody nearby with a 5G phone using the network with Cellmapper installed.

I've seen a few upgraded Three sites here in London with 5G NSA going from 10Mbps of upload to 100-150Mbps. If the device supports it and the 5G signal is strong, it uses the 4G anchor band + NR band.

I can't say for sure that it's not 5G SA in your case, but even 5G NSA can give you a nice boost on upload speeds.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 01:36:57 PM »

I've seen a few upgraded Three sites here in London with 5G NSA going from 10Mbps of upload to 100-150Mbps. If the device supports it and the 5G signal is strong, it uses the 4G anchor band + NR band.

I can't say for sure that it's not 5G SA in your case, but even 5G NSA can give you a nice boost on upload speeds.

Well the 4G LED is still lit, I wonder if it would go out in SA mode?

Then again the router seems to drop 5G if its left idle long enough, which of course only happens when I turn off my AAISP L2TP link.