Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: interleave depth 8  (Read 3748 times)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: interleave depth 8
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2023, 04:45:31 PM »

DSL filters are to block the frequencies used for voice, ...

That's not quite correct as they block the DSL frequencies from the phone side of the filter - ie a low pass filter. The DSL side of the filter is a straight through connection in all the ones I've seen.

...There's a slight exception to this where some filters try to block other interference on the line ...

Yes, better filters may also have things like common mode filters built in, as do some modems such as the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A and VMG8324-B10A
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: interleave depth 8
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2023, 05:57:06 PM »

That's not quite correct as they block the DSL frequencies from the phone side of the filter - ie a low pass filter. The DSL side of the filter is a straight through connection in all the ones I've seen.

Right, its more accurate to say they are designed to ONLY let through the voice frequencies to the telephone socket, so whatever range outside of that exists on the line is of no importance.

They exist purely to avoid us hearing the DSL tones on the phone and to avoid any rogue tones that might be in the DSL range (RFI from the phone or clicks from connecting/disconnecting the line) to feedback and cause DSL to drop.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:06:19 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything