Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Analogue switch of but no fiber  (Read 2901 times)

freeflow

Analogue switch of but no fiber
« on: September 12, 2023, 07:38:08 AM »

Just a quick query, when they turn off analog and go to VoIP you need broadband, but what if you do not have the internet at your property? We live in rural highlands and I have some elderly people as neighbors and they do not have internet and have only old copper telephone connections, but the phone is there life line, mobile reception is also non-existent and there is no plan to upgrade to fiber here yet, but they are going to switch off the old exchange service. so what is going to be done for people like I am described, any ideas?
thanks

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Analogue switch of but no fiber
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 08:17:05 AM »

My understanding is that yes it is the plan to switch off the PSTN (the analogue phone network) by 2025 but that doesn't mean people will just lose service. Everyone will be migrated to a VOIP based service, whether that be on copper or fibre.
I am in a similar situation as although not in a remote part of the country I am in a small village with no fibre provision either present or planned. I also have pretty poor mobile connectivity.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 11:35:46 AM »

so what is going to be done for people like I am described, any ideas?
thanks

They should have a basic ADSL service installed for VoIP only.  Question is, are there some rural locations too far for even that?

Its possible if even DSL is not possible those areas will hang onto POTS long after everywhere else drops it.  The big problem with POTS is maintaining the ancient equipment, so if its retired everywhere else that gives them spare parts for areas that can't be retired yet.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

freeflow

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 11:56:56 AM »

They should have a basic ADSL service installed for VoIP only.
The problem is that used top working frequently around here, also they should not be charged for the service as they have a working phone line and do not want any internet.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 01:24:43 PM »

... also they should not be charged for the service as they have a working phone line and do not want any internet.

And they'll still have a working phone post migration, it'll just be a VOIP rather than POTS one. I'm not aware of there being any compulsion to take an internet service if you don't want one so the cost shouldn't change.
This BT page answers a lot of the questions - https://www.bt.com/help/landline/digital-voice-migration
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

freeflow

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 01:49:34 PM »

Thanks

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 05:25:08 PM »

We live in rural highlands and I have some elderly people as neighbors and they do not have internet and have only old copper telephone connections

Out of interest, is your area covered by https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/ ?