Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What happened to the 5Gbps Gigaclear packages?  (Read 4390 times)

re0

• Reg Member
What happened to the 5Gbps Gigaclear packages?
« on: August 15, 2023, 01:37:25 AM »

Almost seven years ago, Gigaclear announced (Wayback Machine link) it was trialling 5Gbps ultrafast broadband. It had some coverage on other websites, such as Ars Technica and ISPreview. It appears that it has not really gone anywhere as the H5G (home) and B5G (business) packages are nowhere to be seen these days.

From an infrastructure perspective, I wonder if the local network could actually support 5Gbps (or even 10Gbps) as-is. More specifically, I wonder if the active cabinets have the hardware for it. Though, at least in my case (if I wanted it), they would need to upgrade the NTE (ONT) as it only supports 1 Gbps. That is alongside the requirement of a new router to utilise the speeds as the Linksys Velop nodes they supply are only 1 Gbps Ethernet.

I could enquire about it, but I do not really want to bother them about a service which was expected to cost £399 a month that I do not need. Chances are that nobody will even know about it. But I am curious to know whether there is a possibility that they could supply it by simply replacing the NTE and router.

So, what happened to it? Did it just fade into obscurity? I cannot even find any posts of people using such services after a quick skim on the web.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 05:20:10 AM by re0 »
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: What happened to the 5Gbps Gigaclear packages?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 12:57:31 PM »

Loads of reasons why they may not have deployed it, most coming down to there not being any point in the expense. They probably borrowed a 10 Gbit backhaul port from a switch to demo it.

With point to point fibre they could happily sell 25 Gbit, init7 in Switzerland do, but I suspect they'd need to upgrade both the kit customers connect to and the backhaul.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 02:17:46 PM »

They've also changed Chief Executive since then, Matthew Hare left in 2018:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/06/gigaclear-ceo-matthew-hare-exits-as-isp-aims-for-350k-fttp-premises.html

He's now ZZoomm: https://www.zzoommgroup.com/people/meet-the-team/

It's possibly not in Infracapital's interests at present.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 06:27:18 PM »

With point to point fibre they could happily sell 25 Gbit, init7 in Switzerland do, but I suspect they'd need to upgrade both the kit customers connect to and the backhaul.
Damn, Init7 will sell 25 Gbps for around £58 (CHF 64.75) a month! That is crazy. 10 or 25 Gbps Fiber7 attracts the same monthly price, just the setup fee differs for the more expensive fibre optics. Though, a static IPv4 address is £20 (CHF 17.90) extra a month!

Anyway, it was just a curiosity. Not that I have use for more than 1 Gbps. I could fill my 2TB SSD in about 4 hours. I don't even have a single device that could reliably utilise those speeds without any upgrades.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 11:23:36 PM »

Most folks don't really use much more data once they get past a certain speed. The ones that do are why acceptable use policies exist as they're either running 'interesting' servers or using capacity because it's there, not for any real valid reason. :)
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 08:34:16 AM »

It's possibly not in Infracapital's interests at present.

One company within Infracapital have delivered 25GPON...
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2023, 09:28:34 AM »

One company within Infracapital have delivered 25GPON...

I'm aware:
https://www.ogi.wales/press_release/25gb-boost-a-uk-first/

Just making the point that no one really knows what state Gigaclear's infrastructure was in before Infracapital purchased them.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 09:59:22 AM »

Most folks don't really use much more data once they get past a certain speed. The ones that do are why acceptable use policies exist as they're either running 'interesting' servers or using capacity because it's there, not for any real valid reason. :)

That's one of the interesting things I discovered about how the whole "piracy is theft" thing being mostly untrue.

Personally I pirated a fair few games when I was younger as I rarely could afford to buy anything so had to know I liked it first.  I'd try the PC version to see if I liked it then buy on console (as my PC was a toaster so barely ran them), its what got me into Elder Scrolls Oblivion.  I remember downloading GTA 3 I think on dialup, it took two weeks, lol.

But I also know of people who just pirated things for the sake of it, they weren't that interested in the content, they just liked collecting things for some reason.  They never would have bought the thing they pirated.  That kinda confuses me but I guess most people collect something and there are stranger hobbies.

As for speeds, I'm thinking I would probably go for 2Gbit CityFibre but anything faster would just not be worth it.  Just moving content over the LAN at faster than 2Gbit is largely pointless as its very bursty so doesn't average out much faster with 10Gbit each end and cloud services I believe tend to be throttled for uploads anyway unless you have an expensive business plan.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »

I'm aware:
https://www.ogi.wales/press_release/25gb-boost-a-uk-first/

Just making the point that no one really knows what state Gigaclear's infrastructure was in before Infracapital purchased them.

Fair one :)
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

anything