Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trenching Fibre  (Read 3680 times)

tomtom

Trenching Fibre
« on: August 10, 2023, 04:56:03 PM »

Hi, if I was to trench fibre to my property approx 450m through a field what spec cable would be required if one of the alternative networks where to use it to connect to nearest roadside pole/duct? the cable would be in its own duct so it doesn't need to be armoured.

It would need to serve 2-3 properties so at least 4 core fibre. Also I wouldn't want to later on be limited to speed so would prefer to have it futureproofed to 1gbps? if possible.

Would 8 Core OM4 50/125u duct grade be suitable?

Thanks

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Re: Trenching Fibre
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 07:21:42 PM »

I don't think any operator would consider connecting you if you were to do a DIY job of that kind. That's because they wouldn't take any responsibility for it, and who do you think would be accountable if you needed an engineer to address a problem in the future. That's why anything to be done beyond the master socket (DSL) or modem (fibre) is the responsibility of a telecoms company. 

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 08:06:42 AM »

Also I wouldn't want to later on be limited to speed so would prefer to have it futureproofed to 1gbps? if possible.

That depends on the optics each side, nothing to do with the fibre in the ground (to an extent, but the distance you're running here will be fine). Do you have the optics and equipment to terminate the fibre at your property?

Have you already agreed a connection with another network? As already mentioned I can't see any network provider agreeing to connect you up to their network via a DIY job like this

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 08:45:25 AM »

Would 8 Core OM4 50/125u duct grade be suitable?

Thanks

In any case you don't want any multi-mode fibre... Though that's really a bit academic, as others have pointed out already.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 09:13:53 AM »

Is it possible they might be willing to use the ducting?  But I'd imagine there are certain standards it would need to conform to.

After all, its not the fibre that is the expensive part.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 11:45:11 AM »

@tomtom  As Alex Atkin says Openreach have been known to use customer installed ducting but you would need to negotiate with them to find out the required specifications.

They are difficult to even contact at all so trying to arrange such a project would be a challenge.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 12:34:48 AM »

Theres info about ducting here aimed at new site property developers. 
As you'll see, as long as the ducting conforms to their standards Openreach may use it. However they still remain responsible for cable installation expecting the developer to have installed draw ropes for their use at each end of the ducting.

Theres some more handbooks and guides for developers here
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 11:53:07 AM »

Is it possible they might be willing to use the ducting?  But I'd imagine there are certain standards it would need to conform to.

After all, its not the fibre that is the expensive part.

This absolutely. The trouble with using your fibre isn't actually technical but about who's responsible if something goes wrong. They need a demarcation point between the home installation, the bits that are your problem, and theirs. Using your fibre blurs that as your fibre is feeding their equipment.

You put a JCB through the duct and cut their fibre you repair the duct, they repair the fibre and send you a bill. 😊

The only complication is that it isn't just one person the duct is serving. Previous examples of this I've seen the duct was down a private drive. That basically meant all on one person's property so it's like one giant drop. In this case it's a part of their access network serving multiple people. They'd have to 'adopt' it and other than Openreach and VMO2 I'm not sure if any others would be prepared to do that.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 08:25:08 PM »

The irony being presumably if Openreach adopted it THEN PIA kicks in and the alt-nets would come along.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 01:49:03 PM »

Nope: they'd need wayleave.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 10:48:06 PM »

Really?  That seems counter productive.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 01:31:26 AM »

It's the law. Wayleave covers Openreach plant. PIA fibre in Openreach duct isn't Openreach plant and the PIA customer can't maintain in case of duct blockage or collapse.