Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unable to provide FTTP due to LOC  (Read 2134 times)

faqinel

Unable to provide FTTP due to LOC
« on: August 09, 2023, 11:56:23 AM »

I've been provided with the following explanation as to why I am unable to receive FTTP:
LOC basically means that area is Locked out. This could be for numerous reasons like blockages, decaying poles, major civils work that needs traffic management.
The image they supplied (attached) seems to indicate an issue with the telegraph pole that feeds my premises.
Can anyone give clarity on what a LOC is, beyond their explanation.  Can I expect a 'Locked Out' area to be tackled at a future date?  Is there a rolling program to tackle these areas?

Thanks in advance

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: Unable to provide FTTP due to LOC
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 03:31:42 PM »

LoC - Limit of Construction.

May be addressed later depending on budget but no promises. Any idea why you'd be left out? Private roads that need wayleave, a way away from the served area, no duct or poles to use PIA?
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

faqinel

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 04:31:29 PM »

Thank you for responding.

No idea why the properties fed from that pole should be different.  A few years back the line going to our property was detached and fed underground.  All the rest are fed above ground.  There would seem to be no issue getting from the pole to the property.  I'm guessing the issue is with feeding the pole itself.

I've also attached the image for my other property. Can't say it sheds any light on why it too cannot be upgraded.  The entire estate is currently fed underground by copper.  So it would be quite a task to replace but I thought that's what the government vouchers were for?

Not sure what you mean by PIA

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 08:18:32 AM »

A few years back the line going to our property was detached and fed underground.  All the rest are fed above ground.  There would seem to be no issue getting from the pole to the property.  I'm guessing the issue is with feeding the pole itself.

That's an interesting case, as it may be they CAN feed you just fine but as you'd be the only customer able to use it then its not worth the cost if they needed to duct everyone else to deal with whatever issue stopped you using the pole.

In that case though I wonder if there's any possibility of convincing them to just feed you from a different source?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 08:20:50 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

faqinel

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 09:25:36 AM »

Hi Alex,

I've asked that question as next door, to the south, they are fed from a different pole.  Not had a response yet and not sure how to progress.  If the computer says no, then I'm not sure what levers an ISP has available.  I'm also unsure who owns the infrastructure in the case of FTTP.  I've seen Openreach and Swish vans outside doing work.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 09:33:51 AM »

I suspect this is a case where you need to know which network it is and give the company CEO a friendly e-mail.

Like you said, when computer says no the only way forward is a push for someone to manually look into it.  I can't imagine them considering the extra work for one customer under a routine build plan, but no doubt exceptions can be made if that customer makes a fuss and its not too costly to do.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything