Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firebrick Internet / NAT issues  (Read 2783 times)

Pony1982

Firebrick Internet / NAT issues
« on: August 07, 2023, 08:46:52 AM »

Hi Everyone,
I have an AA Firebrick that bonds two VDSL connections together. This then plugs into a Ubiquiti network that I've been running for years. Recently, AA configured an internet facing IP for me on the Firebrick port that plugs into the Ubiquiti network. The LAN uses DHCP to get an IP address and this gets a correct internet facing IP via DHCP. Unfortunately, the local network cannot get to the internet using this method. I then set the local network up to use a static 10.x.x.x IP from the Firebrick and it can get to the internet when doing this. Any ideas on what the best way to proceed here? The reason I want an Internet facing IP on the LAN is to avoid any sort of NAT issues.

THanks

Pony1982

Re: Firebrick Internet / NAT issues
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 12:59:20 PM »

looks like there were some configuration issues on the Firebrick, which AA kindly helped resolved. All good now!!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 12:44:45 AM »

Honestly I think its rather risky having anything public facing not behind NAT, it adds an incidental level of security on top of the client firewall.

Is there something specific you've had a snag with NAT on?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 07:09:41 PM »

The reason I want an Internet facing IP on the LAN is to avoid any sort of NAT issues.

I'm with Alex here.

NAT isn't a bad thing. Personally I think it's madness giving all your internal devices globally routable IP addresses that are publicly accessible from the entire internet.

I understand doing that for individual specific devices that require this but I don't know any reason why this would be desirable for the whole LAN.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM