Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC upgrade to FTTP with exiting FTTP  (Read 2095 times)

craigski

• Reg Member
FTTC upgrade to FTTP with exiting FTTP
« on: August 04, 2023, 02:55:20 PM »

Looking for some advice. I have live FTTC & FTTP services to residential property, both connections provided by Openreach.

I want to consolidate to single FTTP service (replacing FTTC with 4G as backup) with a new supplier (possibly the provider of existing FTTC service)

If I upgrade the existing FTTC to FTTP, will it automatically cancel the existing FTTC service *AND* migrate FTTP to new provider? Is there a chance it could all go horribly wrong?

TIA!

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC upgrade to FTTP with exiting FTTP
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 05:23:08 PM »

If I upgrade the existing FTTC to FTTP, will it automatically cancel the existing FTTC service *AND* migrate FTTP to new provider? Is there a chance it could all go horribly wrong?

If you upgrade the existing FTTC to FTTP you will likely end up with a 2nd FTTP connection. They will likely do an ONT swap to a 4 port ONT.

You would be better cancelling the FTTC and migrating the FTTP to the new provider to ensure it goes smoothly. I would recommend doing these separately as double orders can cause issues with Openreach or the 2nd order might just get rejected.

Alternatively cease the current FTTP then once that's completed upgrade the FTTC to FTTP
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 08:57:58 PM »

I'd definitely do the former, migrate the existing FTTP connection.

Then if you have any voice service on the FTTC you can more easily port it to something like AAISP VoIP which likely will cease the FTTC in the process anyway.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 07:23:06 AM »

Thanks both. So if I place order with one of the big ISPs via their website for FTTP, and I don't enter a phone number, can I assume (with confidence  :)) that if there is existing FTTP that it will be migrated to new FTTP provider, rather than the FTTC 'upgraded'?

It used to be more straight forward when I had 2x FTTC, as I could specify which line I wanted to place order on with a telephone number.

@Alex, no landline phone/VoIP required, as we use mobiles rather than landline numbers.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 09:38:05 AM »

I've just gone through a FTTP migration.  My final choice of ISP was between AAISP and Aquiss, but both their web sites allowed you to specify whether you wanted a new FTTP line or to migrate the existing FTTP connection.

I wasn't in the scenario you are in of having an FTTC and a FTTP line and neither of these ISPs are probably in the list of ISPs you might be considering, but I would hope the process would be much the same.

The easiest thing would be to run through the web sites of the ISPs you are considering and check what the options are.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 02:09:56 PM »

The easiest thing would be to run through the web sites of the ISPs you are considering and check what the options are.
I tried TalkTalk & BT, but didn't proceed to checkout and it seems both recognised an existing FTTP/ONT and ignored the FTTC connection Just need to wait for some sale/offers now when my current contract expires  :)

TalkTalk:
Great news! We can turn on your Full Fibre broadband remotely. This means there is no need for an engineer to visit your home.

Switch your Fibre Connection Box (ONT) on as soon as you place your order with us.

BT:
Thanks for choosing BT
Great news – there's already a full fibre broadband connection running to your home. You'll have a white Openreach Fibre modem on the wall that looks different from a normal phone socket.

Do you currently pay for a full fibre broadband service through this connection?

Setting up your service
We've found an existing service that we can easily takeover and activate for you. We'll contact the current owner of the line and transfer it to you.

anything