Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A&A VOIP Number Porting from Plusnet  (Read 3245 times)

marineio

A&A VOIP Number Porting from Plusnet
« on: July 30, 2023, 02:06:50 AM »

Hi all!

After our FTTC saga (which they finally permanently fixed, 2 months prior to us planning to go to FTTP, turns out there was a cabling fault in the green box after all), we're going to FTTP in 2 months time. The plan is to port our landline to A&A for the £15 charge, and then stick to the basic plan (although the call charges are not obscene, so it may get used here and there for calls).

I've got a Cisco SPA112 which i've set up and tested with my sipgate account, so we can use our current phone.

Has anyone got any hiccups of porting a number from Plusnet to A&A? Do they need to have any info that we obtain from Plusnet or should it just port over with no problems? We're going to get the fibre installed and working before beginning the porting process, so looking to get it installed 2-3 weeks before our contract end.

Cheers!

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: A&A VOIP Number Porting from Plusnet
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 02:53:14 PM »

I ported our landline number from Sky to A&A and I will admit the process was absolutely flawless.

My only gripe in my case was that I had to port the number and cease the broadband at the same time, but at the time I had 2 x FTTC circuits so I was able to do that and be without one lot of internet for a while.

But, the number is now on VoIP and works well.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

marineio

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 01:17:58 PM »

That was the only little stumbling block, not ceasing the FTTC before the FTTP is installed and up and running, so i'm planning for about a 2 week overlap which should hopefully be enough.

Cheers :)

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 01:28:03 PM »

I gave myself 10 days contingency, which was more than enough.

marineio

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 12:57:58 AM »

An update (I was a little wrong in the timeframe, good job I checked!). Our contract actually expired 2 months before I thought it did.

We gave ourselves a 2 week window, booking Zzoomm to install 14 days prior to the Plusnet contract expiring. As soon as it was installed, and working, we signed up to A&A. There were a few questions they asked via email, mainly revolving around whether it was a single number or a block that all needed porting. Basically told them it's a single residential number from Plusnet with FTTC service, confirmed the address and losing supplier, and they worked their magic. The number then ported over 6 days later (although they said they needed 10), just prior to our PN contract end date. Really easy process, and no dramas. The phone line was completely dead (would not ring when rung from a mobile) for approx 30 mins from when the PN router went offline, then routed through to my SPA112 fine.

£15 transfer fee later, and for the princely sum* of £1.44 a month, we have our old landline number on a VOIP provider, with our old landline working with it through a Cisco SPA112. Boom!

* Tongue in cheek, consider some companies were quoting upwards of £10 a month for transferring and using your landline, this is a fantastic price!

In Addendum: Interestingly enough, the Adtran SDX622V ONT Zzoomm installed has some BT431A FXS ports, although obviously they appear that they can't be configured by the end user... which is a shame as it may avoid me having to use my SPA112 if it could route out over the internet!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 05:49:47 PM by marineio »

anything